50 cal Optima, 1st Shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt2003

Reaction score
I bought a 50 cal CVA Optima with Thumbhole Stock cerakoted in Patriot Brown. I finally got to shoot it yesterday. 100 grains T7 with a 240 grain all lead Precision Rifle Dead Center bullet. Supposedly bore sighted but 1st shot was 6” high and 6” right so not too sure about that. 7 shots total and dead on at 50 yards.

Initial thoughts: I really like it! Trigger is right sround 3 lbs…Nice! I’m not gonna lie. I am quite irritated that the ramrod isn’t long enough to use a regular length jag and clean all the way down to the breech plug. Come on CVA, you can do better. I picked up a 3” extended jag today and that made all the difference. Excited for ML season this year!

Well congratulations on your Optima. Just FYI, bore sighted does not mean sighted in. 6" high and 6" right is pretty close for just bore sighting. I have an older CVA Accura V2 and my ramrod has one of the ends that screw out making it longer. Maybe you overlooked it or they changed ramrods. I did hear thay were getting a bit cheapo on them.
Good luck on your upcoming muzzleloader season. (Is this your first muzzy?)

Nope, solid ramrod. All good though. Just frustrated. Just expect more from CVA.
Not my 1st ML. I had a Knight Wolverine i shot for probably 20 years. I converted it to 209 primers and gave it to my nephew. Yeah, i keep my stuff a long time provided it’s quality and performs well. Case in point, just sold my 2004 Kawasaki Bayou 250 and finally replaced it!

I got the exact same rifle a few weeks ago. Shot it for the first time last Friday. I have 3 CVA Cascade rifles and the triggers are awesome and this one feels exactly the same. I was testing 290 grain Hornady Bore Drivers with 100 grains of T7. Got about a 2" group at 100 yards, but I am looking for better. Ordered a BH209 Breech plug and also some 250 grain Barnes bullets. Got about 2 weeks to nail a load down.

But, like you said. It is a shooter. Never had a thumbhole stock. but I love it. Recoil pad is great. I am recoil sensitive and this thing is like a pussy cat with standard powder loads.

100 grains 777_290 Hornady Bore Driver.jpg

Congrats. My son and I have a matching set of nitride V2 Optima’s. They are absolute tack drivers with BH209 powder/breech plugs and Barnes bullets. We are also testing SSK bullets soon.

My only complaint is the ramrods. Same issues plus they get beat up and loose quickly. I picked up a good range rod and a folder for hunting. The ones that came with the rifles sit unused.

Congrats. My son and I have a matching set of nitride V2 Optima’s. They are absolute tack drivers with BH209 powder/breech plugs and Barnes bullets. We are also testing SSK bullets soon.

My only complaint is the ramrods. Same issues plus they get beat up and loose quickly. I picked up a good range rod and a folder for hunting. The ones that came with the rifles sit unused.
Yeah, mine is scratched all to crap after just 15 shots.

What load and bullet weight are you running? I am going to try 80 grains of BH209 with the 250 Barnes.

Yeah, mine is scratched all to crap after just 15 shots.

What load and bullet weight are you running? I am going to try 80 grains of BH209 with the 250 Barnes.
That should be about right. We shoot 80 grains with the Barnes 250’s and just under 90 grains with the 290 grain bullets.

Even though BH209 is supposed to be “clean”, I “lightly” wet one side of a cleaning patch with a spritz of windex and run it down the barrel wet side out then dry side out between each shot. Then I quickly clean the flash hole when I open the breech. I get really tight and consistent groups this way.

After getting into the Dutch Schultz method with traditional ML’s I have learned the value of keeping all variables consistent if you want reliable accuracy.

Last edited:
That should be about right. We shoot 80 grains with the Barnes 250’s and just under 90 grains with the 290 grain bullets.

Even though BH209 is supposed to be “clean”, I “lightly” wet one side of a cleaning patch with a spritz of windex and run it down the barrel wet side out then dry side out between each shot. Then I quickly clean the flash hole when I open the breech. I get really tight and consistent groups this way.

After getting into the Dutch Schultz method with traditional ML’s I have learned the value of keeping all variables consistent if you want reliable accuracy.
I had cleaned between shots with the CVA quick clean patches and then ran a dry patch through it. I didn't clean the fire hole in the breech plug, so I will make sure to do that next time.

I am hoping for good groups with the Barnes.

I had cleaned between shots with the CVA quick clean patches and then ran a dry patch through it. I didn't clean the fire hole in the breech plug, so I will make sure to do that next time.

I am hoping for good groups with the Barnes.
You should if you do everything else right, and your above group is already plenty good for hunting.

Not sure which bullets you ordered, but both of my optima’s do a bit better with the slightly thinner T-EZ’s vs the TMZ’s.

I get plenty fine for hunting accuracy out of both, but the TMZ’s are a struggle to get down the barrel, and I’m a big strong guy. I didn’t like the idea of trying to do a quick follow up load with them.

You should if you do everything else right, and your above group is already plenty good for hunting.

Not sure which bullets you ordered, but both of my optima’s do a bit better with the slightly thinner T-EZ’s vs the TMZ’s.

I get plenty fine for hunting accuracy out of both, but the TMZ’s are a struggle to get down the barrel, and I’m a big strong guy. I didn’t like the idea of trying to do a quick follow up load with them.
I got the T-EZ 250.

I am thinking the same from seeing what folks find acceptable groups. In NC, most shots will be under 100 anyway. I will save power line hunting for rifle season.

I got the solid aluminum ramrod with my Accura V2 Lr and it came with a 3 inch jag for cleaning. I haven't had any problems with my ramrod yet. This is my 3rd season with the Rifle. It is pretty scratched up though! I also shoot 80-90 grains of blackhorn by volume with a hornady xtp 240 and get great groups at 100yds.

Latest posts

Back