Optima V2 50 cal Ram rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eekjellander

Reaction score
Any one else PO e d about the new ( improved) rod? Purchased new in January and got it sighted in at the range ,ready for early bear (NOPE) . Been using my range rod (have a bunch) but when I got ready to shoot at a critter I noticed there was nothing to screw one of my many different jags in . Sent a message to Muzzle Loader .com and got a response (ticket #) and someone would call back Monday(today) and he did ,however that was the only good thing to come out of this encounter!!!
I explained that whatever my jag screwed into was missing , at that point he said last September CVA redesigned the rod and that old design was removed ,he said it was news to them too! So the seller( Muzzle loader .com ) made up a rod like the old and if I had the palm saver I would be in business again . I expected to get a replacement but no ,I got horse crap ,said I should use the new design (unscrew palm saver) and use that end to clean/load . Sounds painful and I explained with different 50 barrels I size to bore . My 50 CVA V2 50 is accurate @ 501.5/Renegade 502/502.3 so my 50I bullet in pure drops @506 and I then size to need . My bullets dead soft are hard loading to start so That will not work if you cast ot bore size . I did not think anyone could dream up such an assine rod (maybe Biden) ?So all my jags are useless with this rod . He then explained for $34.00 +shipping I could purchase his new after market rod , I explained CVA is responsible for the change and he sells the product so it is Muzzle loaders.com responsibility and dam sure not mine!!!!!!! At that point I explained that the company he works for also sold me on the 45 cal Paramount with a funky barrel ,owned it for 5-6 weeks and it went onto GB good riddance , and Muzzle loader .com TOO!!! Ed

I had the same call with probably the same rep a month or two ago. The new ramrods also get marked up and look like crap after 6 shots.

The rifle is otherwise really top quality. I have two of them and they are both great! I use a good quality range rod and a folding rod for hunting so it’s not the end of the world, but I agree it’s a pretty dumb move on CVA’s part….

I had the same call with probably the same rep a month or two ago. The new ramrods also get marked up and look like crap after 6 shots.

The rifle is otherwise really top quality. I have two of them and they are both great! I use a good quality range rod and a folding rod for hunting so it’s not the end of the world, but I agree it’s a pretty dumb move on CVA’s part….
I agree ,they ain't the only supplier in town and be a cold day in hell before I call them!/Ed

Same CVA. Same stupid ram rod problem. I still need to pick up an actual working ram. Probably just get a collapsible and throw the other in the back of the gun closet never to be seen again. Any recommendations that don't break the bank?

I use the giRAMROD for the CVA rifles. $30 but works great. I keep the spin jag on one end (goes right to the end of the barrel) and the other end is female threaded as well but my palm saver fits right over it as do the insets on most powder tubes..

Same CVA. Same stupid ram rod problem. I still need to pick up an actual working ram. Probably just get a collapsible and throw the other in the back of the gun closet never to be seen again. Any recommendations that don't break the bank?
There are plenty of good range rods for reasonable cost. I don’t even remember what brand/model mine is.

For hunting I use the CVA collapsible rod with palm saver. If you do not hunt with the rifle you can skip even buying one of these.

If you are going bear hunting I would recommend carrying a folder and leaving the barrel mounted rod at camp/home.

Save a couple bucks and lose a customer that`s real brilliant thinking. I got a couple range rods and use my old cva rod that came with my Accura for hunting.
Found the solution ,I had a long one and will have a friend after shooting tomorrow is bringing a 10/32 tap/drill and will make CVA regret their stupidity . Probably not but they absolutely not only lost a customer but a pissed off one ,I hold a grudge and go out of my way to cost them money that their slick advertising can not ignore .

Like jimy jac said I use my reverse threaded ramrod from my old Accura V1, I would have bought a collapsible ramrod but the price is crazy.

I agree ,they ain't the only supplier in town and be a cold day in hell before I call them!/Ed
So they (to their credit ) called me ! And are shipping (express) what they should have provided (N.C.) when I 1st called . I would hope others get the same courtesy and swift action over what in my opinion a (BIG) screw up by CVA , Thanks Muzzleloader.com !!!/Ed

I got "Sorry, that's the way they are now". When I called about my new Optima, in April. I agree with what JimY JAC, stated !!

I got "Sorry, that's the way they are now". When I called about my new Optima, in April. I agree with what JimY JAC, stated !!
I opened the door perhaps you need to go thru it (it's a new day) things change . Perhaps they have a change of heart or seen the (light) !/Ed

CVA doesn’t care, muzzleloaders.com does. CVA trying to save money, they could care less if you’ve had any interaction with them about any topic. There are still a few of the old/better, double threaded replacement ramrods out there if you look around. Just bought one as a replacement for a Wolf not long ago.

Is this all CVA models? I can see a return label in my future.

I won't own stupid and this is stupid.

Back to a Hawken.

I bought a CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle last yr. What will i need too look for on mine? Is the threds different on the jags?

Back