50 round ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr1445

Reaction score
i was trying out some 45 cal sagebrush felt wads with round ball in a cva kodiax 45. i tried .454 and .457" balls cast from my lee molds. the best groups were from the.457" dia rb. now i have ordered some 50 cal felt wads to try with conicals on my 50 inlines. i would also like to try some round balls with the felt wads. i am thinking i could try the lee .500" round ball mold, maybe shim it out to .505" . anyone try this? at 75 i just punch paper, no hunting, thanks.

Try a 1/2 of a Cotton Ball (Make sure it is 100% Cotton) as a Wad Behind your Roundball. A Disc shaped wad such as Wool Felt, Vege Fibre, etc. can actually do more harm than good Behind a Roundball, When the Powder Goes off, The Wad “Forms” Around the Ball, Defeating the Wads Purpose of Creating a Seal Behind it, Whereas The Cotton Ball will Form Around the Ball Creating a Seal. Disc Shape Wads are MUCH better Suited Behind Flat Base Bullets

thanks i will give it try. now to check the wifes cotton ball stock.

the adds i checked out said 100% rayon cotton.
CelluCotton® Rayon Reinforced

They have it in pure cotton too and the rayon is not the fabric rayon you are imagining

Rayon is a manufactured fiber made from natural sources such as wood and agricultural products that are regenerated as cellulose fiber

Back