.52 cal Long range loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbide8

Reaction score
Good afternoon-
Just wanted to see how far some of you guys are reaching out with your .52.
Ive been shooting this cal for a few years and my go-to round for whitetails is 275 red hot with 80gn by weight BH209. . Also still using 375 for elk with 88gn BH.

200 yds is typically my limits on game with these rounds but was wondering if anyone was stretching this cal out to 250-300? If so what bullet(s) are you using?

My .52 is setup bare 209.
Thx

Does anyone have any ballistic data on the .52 lineup of bloodlines? Knight doesnt post these on the .52 for some reason. Thx

Not yet, hunting season is over and spring is on the way.
Based on my first outing success with my 52 500 gr, I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do.
If it continues to do well at 200 & 300, I'm thinking I may even shoot it in the NMLRA in-line match.

Thats a serious bullet. What is the advantage in such a heavy bullet? Assuming its fairly long bullet?

Carbide8:
Carbide- Are you a machinist?

It's not really that heavy for the bore size and with long range, weight retains momentum down range. Also, light bullets don't react well they slow to subsonic speed. So, either stay above it as long as you can or below the entire time - nothing new here.
All the bullet info is on the In-line section of this site - 52 500

For a 52, that is a lot of bore diameter so weight goes outward fast.
Here is a photo of my 500gr with Knights 375gr copper HP bullet (Knight's is 0.475" in diameter and 1.20" long). My bullet is 1.040" long (2 bore diameters) - Copper is about 25% lighter than lead, brass nearly 35% lighter.
How Long are your 275 & 375gr bullets?

Attachments

• 45 52 compare.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,036
This photo matches the discussion.
Sorry

Attachments

• 52 K rw.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,035
52-
No, im not a machinest. The 375 gn in your picture is one of the rounds i shoot and is definitely longer than your bulet. Without knowing, i assumed you were shooting a sabot :). Your other post made more sense to me after reading about the 500.
:yeah:

Rick,

What did you chrono the MV on your .52 bullet and have you calculated the drop? I am really interest in developing a load for 200+yds with open sights. I suspect my current Williams FP will have the elevation for some of the "Knight bullets" or other sabot combos. However, looking at "drop in feet" so if I want to try 300+yds with a big chunk of lead any recommendations on a rear site or should the FP have the elevation.

Hoping my weather holds I am not travelling for the next week.

Open sights, 300yds - most would think your crazy or very confident in your abilities or both! ha
I did not have a chronograph with my first testing of this bullet - had no idea it would shoot like it did. But, from some 2001 data with Swiss 2F that was published in muzzleblast magazine with a 500gr 45 bullet. 85gr load shows MV at 1375fps - this is a start. This bullet would be a little faster out of the muzzle than my 45 cal 530gr, yet doesn't have as good a BC down range.
So, to try to answer your question: Roughly, I add 1 moa to my total for each 100yds - here is an example: 0 at 100, add 10 moa for 200, add another 11 moa for 300... This will put you close.
If your FP is sighted in at 100 (I hope it's near the bottom), you can count your remaining clicks/moa.

Here is a photo of an old shooter that I used to hunt with long ago. Note the rear sight position 0, there is plenty left to get to 300.

Attachments

• 1 LRH Rear S.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 963
Crazy well my wife might think so. I would never plan on taking an animal at that distance with open sights even with my 300 wsm too many chances for something other than a clean kill. However, I am confident in my ability to stalk well enough for a good shot. That said paper or a gong will just improve my hunting accuracy. So i I can bump that hunting range 25-50 yd I would be real happy. My 52 isn't dialed in enough to consided any real distance, I took the FP off my 50 disc and put it on the 52 because it was shooting low with the factory Williams sight, real low even with the peep is still shooting lower than my 50 Disc with the peep. I am hoping to have some time to dial it up and play with some loads.

To answer your question, I am not near zero and I would say closer to mid adjustment

idahoron said:
I think that a paper patched .515 bullet would rock.

Idahoron: You might like this PP. Not a 52, but a 50-500gr I made and shot in the 1st In-line match. It has never shot quite as good as the GG 52-500.

Attachments

• 500 cal HP mold.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 870
I was looking at some published Knight .52 info with the Hydra-Con 530g, 100gr T7, MV 1435ft/sec with 150gr T7, 1,646ft/sec. 100 zero the drop at 150yd and 200yd are -7.94in, -6.04in and -22.56in and -17.37in.

Guessing 530gr with a 150gr of T7 would be a thumper.

The 375gr Red Hot with the same powder loads are MV 1570ft/sec and 1938 ft/sec with drop of -5.68in, -3.68in and -16.52in and -10.97in at 100 and 200yds.

Back