54 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlelonghair

Reaction score
What size bullet and Sabot do I need for a CVA 54 caliber that is extremely hard to load haven't found nothing to work yet thanks everybody

I shoot a Purple MMP 50x54 sabot and a .500 diameter bullet. A Great bullet is the 325gn Speer Unicore if you can find them.

Have you slugged your bore to find its true diameter? That would be the first step. It doesn't matter what works in another rifle because it may not be the same bore size.

Hey deerman it's a CVA probably a staghorn 54 caliber after the recall 2007 is the date on it

Yelp flounder I put round balls Conicals down it I'm new to to bore slugging don't really know what I'm looking for if you could explain thanks

Many people will recommend slugging the bore but I have found pin gauges to be easily and accurately used. Amazon can provide a few in the range you’re interested in. The other option is making a bore cast from cerrosafe. Make a wad of aluminum foil around the head of a bolt and screw the bolt into your ramrod (8-32 or 10-32) Then center the head of the bolt into the muzzle of the rifle. Melt the cerrosafe and pour it into the bore. Allow it to cool for an hour and remove it from the bore.

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/bt002015.pdf

Thanks bad karma sounds like a little bit more than I want to go through with but appreciate the info

Back