.58 by Bob Hoyt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had Bob make me a .58 cal flintlock barrel for my Renegade a few months ago and after getting it sighted in earlier this year I finally got the time to try a couple loads in it to see how it shoots. I shot at 50 yards using 80, 90, and 100 gr charges of Goex FFg with a .570" home cast ball and .020" Oxyoke patches and swabbing between each shot with a good cleaning between groups. As you can see from the attached targets, I settled on the 100 gr charge. A friend told me I should try FFFg which I will. But I don't think I can do much better.

Attachments

• 80 gr FFg 570 ball 020 patch.jpg
    80 gr FFg 570 ball 020 patch.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 90 gr FFg 570 ball 020 patch.jpg
    90 gr FFg 570 ball 020 patch.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 100 gr FFg 570 ball 020 patch.jpg
    100 gr FFg 570 ball 020 patch.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 308
Heck Yeah! Good shooting with a Flintlock! :yeah: I have always heard that Hoyt does an AWESOME job on Rebores, I will eventually find a Nice exterior .50 Cal Hawken or Renegade barrel and send it to him for a Rebore to .54 Cal and Twist it 1:32

Lewis that wasn't a rebore. He made the barrel from scratch out of round bar stock. The only thing he didn't make was the ramrod thimbles and the under rib. Those were from TOW. Not sure what the alloy of the bar stock is but it is really tough to blue. It must have a high chromium content in the alloy more like a stainless steel.
Now Bob has bored out a 45 to a 50 for me and has also relined a barrel for me. He does great work and his prices are reasonable.

bronko220002 said:
Lewis that wasn't a rebore. He made the barrel from scratch out of round bar stock. The only thing he didn't make was the ramrod thimbles and the under rib. Those were from TOW. Not sure what the alloy of the bar stock is but it is really tough to blue. It must have a high chromium content in the alloy more like a stainless steel.
Now Bob has bored out a 45 to a 50 for me and has also relined a barrel for me. He does great work and his prices are reasonable.

bronko, That is REALLY cool to know!! I didn’t know he made actual barrels? I hear LOTS about his Rebores, This might be a good option for my Dad a Faster Twist .54 Cal

.58 Cal PRB is no Joke Medicine :yeah: I bought a New unfired Navy Arms Hawken Hunter in .58 Cal, it has 1-1/8” Barrel, and is 3 Groove. I really need to get this Trigger slicked up (on a Diet!!) it’s WAY to heavy for my Liking, I’ll never shoot it well the way it is. Otherwise I really like the Rifle! These NA Hawken Hunters were supposedly proofed with 200 Grains of powder? Val Forgett (Owner of Navy Arms) Used this Rifle to take most all Dangerous Game, iirc his bullet was a 610 Grain Lyman Mini with 180 Grains of 3F powder :shock:

How do keep that Flintlock Stil long enough for it to go off? :lol: Serious Question? I’m guessing Sand Bags, or some form of Rock Solid Rest? I have never Shot a Flintlock, I could have bought a Brand New Lyman GP Flinter at a Pawn Shop a few years ago But i walked away from it. I applaud you guy’s that are Good with them! It’s gotta take some serious Control to get good with one

Any pics of your new Hoyt Barrel?

you have to have really good follow thru shooting freehand, off a solid rest pretty easy but offhand if you can shoot a flintlock well you can shoot anything good. That's why a lot of guys call them flinchlocks, by the time they go off you've flinched 4-5 inches or more off target :D I had a T/C Hawken .50 flintlock made in the 60-70`s from a kit and from a rest I could put roundballs into the bottom of a coffee can at 50 yds but offhand couldn't hit the bottom of a 5 gal bucket at same distance, that's why my neighbor ended up with it.

Idaholewis said:
How do keep that Flintlock Stil long enough for it to go off? :lol: Serious Question? I’m guessing Sand Bags, or some form of Rock Solid Rest? I have never Shot a Flintlock, I could have bought a Brand New Lyman GP Flinter at a Pawn Shop a few years ago But i walked away from it. I applaud you guy’s that are Good with them! It’s gotta take some serious Control to get good with one

Any pics of your new Hoyt Barrel?

Flintlocks aren't hard to shoot offhand. I can put a ball just about anywhere that ball want's to go. Once in a while it even goes where I want it to go.

dbowling said:
but offhand couldn't hit the bottom of a 5 gal bucket at same distance, that's why my neighbor ended up with it.

Dean, I take it you didn’t like your Neighbor? :lol: Arm him with something you NEVER have to worry about getting hit with :yeah: :lol:

Yeah that group was shot off sandbags. But to tell you the truth I have 2 T/C flintlocks and I have them so well tuned that ignition is so fast the you can't perceive any delay, just as if firing a caplock (that is of course unless the flint gets dirty or several shots in high humidity when I have to wipe the crud out of the pan and off the flint.)

Many many moons ago, I'd say back in the late 70s there was a bunch of us that shot flintlocks together. Every Sunday afternoon we would head out to a big strip mine pit and set up a cardboard box with plastic soup spoons You would stick the handle of the spoon into the cardboard corregation so that they would stand up. The box was set out at 50 yards and we would take turns shooting at them. We all were able to hit the spoons. But some of us could hit them more regularly then the others.
I got to be known as the best shot in the group due to a lucky shot one weekend. There was one spoon left standing as I was loading up my Hawken. One of the other better shots in the group lined up on it and shot, leaving 1/2 of the spoon still in tack. I told him "don't worry, I'll finish it for ya" and took a bead on it and fired. When the smoke cleared the other half was gone. I would say it was pure luck hitting a 1/2"x1" target at 50 yards offhand. But we did practice a lot so that had something to do with it as well.

Whats bad is a week after I sold it to him he climbed up in a big tree and sat on a limb and shot a huge 11 point as it walked under his tree, 1st time he ever shot at a deer and hunted with muzzleloader, go figure. He thought the gun was great.

Idaholewis said:
dbowling said:
but offhand couldn't hit the bottom of a 5 gal bucket at same distance, that's why my neighbor ended up with it.

Dean, I take it you didn’t like your Neighbor? :lol: Arm him with something you NEVER have to worry about getting hit with :yeah: :lol:

Back