.58 Huntsman/Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerspur

Reaction score
Some time back on another forum I spoke of the T/C Scout I once hunted with... how I loved its handling but loathed the range results it produced.
I opined at the time, and still believe, a short fast swinging H&R .58 Huntsman shooting round ball would make a great walking around gun.

Recently I came into possesion of a second old .58 Huntsman and am now contemplating putting together a stalker based on the platform.
Here's my "artist's rendition" of the concept:
huntsmanscout_512x135.jpg

(Realistically speaking, Photoshop Neanderthal's Rendition would be more accurate!)

Gauging up against the T/C Scout Carbine (the overall length of which I found ideal as a fast handling stalking arm) something like a 4 1/2" bob and wearing Marble's sights would be the ticket.

Any of you guys have light carbines you like to still hunt with, and if so
built on what and how'd you configure yours? :)

I have a Knight LK-93 that is my primary swamp/still hunting gun. Light, short and accurate. I shoot 250 SSTs or Shockwaves with 80 grs of FFFg 777. The 22" barrel is topped with TruGlo fiber optic sights for fast shooting in cover, thats the only change I've made to it.

TC Sout

Hammerspur: I also have a TC Scout that I bought brand new back about 1992 & was also disappointed in it's performance. I often wondered if a set of PEEP sights would improve the groups is produced??
What do ya think , eh> It's been hanging in the basement for about 15 years. It a darn pretty lil gun. I can't believe that Thompson Center would put out a product with Daisy Red Ryder BB gun "Buckhoen " sights on it. All the other TC's ML's of that era had decent adjusatble sights. I had a scope on it for a short while but it got filthy from the Pyrodex escaping right below the scope so I took it off.

Got any suggestions for shooting this lil gun???

Art Sehnke

Re: TC Sout

art sehnke said:
I often wondered if a set of PEEP sights would improve the groups is produced??
What do ya think?
I don't think peeps or a scope could work out worth a hoot, the need to disassemble for cleaning the barrel/frame & cover (upon which the sight or scope rail would mount) precludes it.

You could securely mount a long quarter rib on the breech end of the bbl. extending back over the receiver... IF you would even have the clearance to disassemble thereafter.

art sehnke said:

I had a scope on it for a short while but it got filthy from the Pyrodex escaping right below the scope so I took it off.
Besides escaping gas/fouling from the open breech, the funk was venting from those gas escape ports designed into the breech plug, barrel breech and receiver cover as a fail-safe in the event of an overload or barrel obstruction... product liability lawyers' requirement no doubt.

art sehnke said:
It's been hanging in the basement for about 15 years. It's a darn pretty lil gun.
Yes, it is a trim and likeable to handle little rifle but that's just where my turkey is as well... after making the rounds through two friends who were also disappointed it "came back home to nest."

art sehnke said:
I... was also disappointed in it's performance. Got any suggestions for shooting this lil gun?

Other than the elaborate quarter rib solution I sugested above,no... and that alone won't fix the problems IMO.
The twist at which T/C rifled .54 bore Scouts is WAY wrong for caliber.
Check this link for my experiences with this arm:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... #msg491599

Back