#6 with the encore PH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkworm

Reaction score
Put a nice 8 pt down yesterday. I went out with the intent to try a "behind the shoulder" shot with the 200 gr. Shockwave. I have taken 4 with the high shoulder shot with it and they have been bang flops. I shot a doe last year behind the shoulder but, I hit high so there was not much blood with a 60 yd recovery. Any how I had not been in the stand for 15 min. and here comes this small 8 pointer and a keep telling myself shoot behind the shoulder. He stops in a cedar thicket @ 45 yds, looks to be perfectly broadside so I place the crosshairs low 2" behind the shoulder and ignite the 110 gr. of BH 209. I wait for around 20 min. and walk to where he was standing. With a couple inches of snow I can see hair and blood spatter from the impact. I start out following the blood trail, then I see what not hunter wants to see, pieces of acorns and other stomach contents in the blood. I sit down to gather my thoughts on the situation and look around the side of the hill and see the deer stone dead 10 yds away. I walk over to where he's laying, point of impact was point of aim. I roll him over exit was a few inches behind the last rib. ( He was quartering to me) I cannot believe I got a pass through with that poor of a shot with the 200 gr. bullet. I know I got lucky with the short recovery on this one but, I don't think the 200 grain Shockwave is as fragile as some think. Didn't do much post mortum investigating because it was a mess but, looked to be massive internal damage. :puke:

The 40-200gr SST has a better sectional density than say a ....250gr SST, so it retains a longer shank that helps the bullet get a pass through. Smokeless 45 owners use them all the time at insane speeds and you dont see nearly as many failure stories vs other SST/FTX/Shockwaves.

I still like bullets that are a bit more predictable on impact but i would have no problem using a 40-200gr SST as far as i can shoot.

Latest posts

Back