Red dot recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVAKodiak50

Reaction score
Hello, with Utahs law change on ML optics 1x only I’ve been considering a red dot, i have a 1x scope but it makes the target smaller than with naked eye.
Does anyone run a red/green dot that they would recommend? Wanting something solid as I have drawn a tag finally.

I use inexpensive red dots on a few things (but not a ML - I lean traditional for my ML fun)

Busnell TRS-25 or the AT3 RD-50 are comparable, biggest difference is 2 vs 3 moa dot

Lifetime warranty on both. Have used them interchangably on my FAL, a few bolt guns, cowitness with AR irons or stand alone on my SBR 9mm upper or on my 12ga pump

I’ve used Aimpoint Micro H1’s on several different guns and like them alot, but they’re expensive. I just bought a Trijicon RMR and a Holosun 509t both second hand and really like them so far. I also have a very inexpensive Truglo Gobbler Stopper red dot and have never had a problem with it.

I don’t think you have to spend a lot of money to get a decent red dot that’ll work, but I think you still get what you pay for. Cheap price comes with cheap quality.

I’ve used Aimpoint Micro H1’s on several different guns and like them alot, but they’re expensive. I just bought a Trijicon RMR and a Holosun 509t both second hand and really like them so far. I also have a very inexpensive Truglo Gobbler Stopper red dot and have never had a problem with it.

I don’t think you have to spend a lot of money to get a decent red dot that’ll work, but I think you still get what you pay for. Cheap price comes with cheap quality.
I have been looking at the 509t, do you know kind of a max range with that size dot? I would like to be able to shoot as far as my eyes will let me 150-200 maybe

I have been looking at the 509t, do you know kind of a max range with that size dot? I would like to be able to shoot as far as my eyes will let me 150-200 maybe
It’s a 2 moa dot, so I would say the useful range is going to be a personal thing. If I’m shooting past 75 or 100 yards, I want a scope with magnification, but I’ve killed a bunch of pigs with an Aimpoint Micro on my Blaser combo in the 0 to 100 yard range.
There’s several utube videos reviewing the 509t, and by all accounts, it’s a top notch sight.

With the 2moa dot stand alone or cowitnessed with irons (on my ARs) the 6" steel my range has at 200 yards is easy as long as it has a fresh coat of paint (so I can even see it)

2 moa is a good size dot for anything out to 200 + yards. If you can get your game to give you a contrasting background so you can see it well enough!
Alot of red dots are made for close in shots , 50 yards or less and have dots that are too big for longer shots. I have a Steiner with a 3.3 moa dot that is almost too big for a muzzleloader, have not tried it at 200 yet.

As for recommendations, I really like my Aimpoint 9000sc.

Hello, with Utahs law change on ML optics 1x only I’ve been considering a red dot, i have a 1x scope but it makes the target smaller than with naked eye.
Does anyone run a red/green dot that they would recommend? Wanting something solid as I have drawn a tag finally.
What unit? I also drew a muzzleloader tag for Boulder.

Latest posts

Back