600 Yard Knight Mountaineer .45 Cal 1:20 Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I took my 1:20 Twist .45 Cal Knight Mountaineer for a Stroll this morning, 600 Yard 8” Gong, .444-400 BACO Pure Lead Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullets in front of 70 “Weighed” Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, and my typical Oversize .50 Cal 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wads Between. This Knight Mountaineer GETS WITH IT  :Red tup:  I’m hoping for 850 Yards my Next outing, Have to wait for people to Clear out of that Area before i can do it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kATjd6Qs9EU" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Some Fun Facts about the Above. I was Holding 62 Minutes (MOA) and a “speck” :) My Bullet was 378 inches, or 31.5 Feet above the Gong before it started its Descent to it. It took me 3 Shots to Figure it out, i shot a 4th Shot on Paper just for Good measure to make Sure i was on, Then moved to the Gong and Pounded on it :Red tup:

Your long range vids are really  8).  Great marksmanship!  Enjoyed the fun facts too.  :ttups:

I really enjoyed your video also.  That is quite an accomplishment, my hat is off to you.  Great marksmanship!

Thanks guy’s, This stuff is NOTHING more than Fun to me, I enjoy Pushing ME, and My Gear. I don’t Hunt at these Distances, As anyone that knows me, See’s My Videos, Targets Etc. Can Obviously see that i am VERY Capable of Making these ULTRA Long Shots (Been Doing it for MANY years) But fact is i am DEAD AGAINST Hunting at these ULTRA Long Ranges!! If there was a Petition to Sign to STOP Long Range Hunting, My Name would be the 1st on it!! 

We owe it to the Big Game we pursue to Kill them as Swiftly, and Humanely as Possible. Hunting Big Game is NOT the time to “Test” Your Capability’s, and Gear! Do that on Targets, and Keep it there! To many things can, and MOST DEFINITELY DO Go Wrong at ULTRA Long Range. Predators such as Coyotes are a WHOLE different Deal, SWING AWAY  :Red tup:

Nice shooting at that distance, never tried it with a smoke pole but use to shoot up to 1000 yards off cross-sticks with original and reproduction Sharps and Remington's. 3FFF Black powder with a 10% load of modern powder for a duplex load. Shot on targets, the guns were capable of 300 yard kills on elk (deer were to small to make one shot kills). 

Those couple of times I made shots on game at that range was done to put down wounded animals that some else had shot. That would really upset me for weeks, would dream about these stupid hunters and what had been done ...... 
They would be shooting the newest caliber gun available and believed what these writers say about the distances they would shoot.

Buck Conner said:
Nice shooting at that distance, never tried it with a smoke pole but use to shoot up to 1000 yards off cross-sticks with original and reproduction Sharps and Remington's. 3FFF Black powder with a 10% load of modern powder for a duplex load. Shot on targets, the guns were capable of 300 yard kills on elk (deer were to small to make one shot kills). 

Those couple of times I made shots on game at that range was done to put down wounded animals that some else had shot. That would really upset me for weeks, would dream about these stupid hunters and what had been done ...... 
They would be shooting the newest caliber gun available and believed what these writers say about the distances they would shoot.
I agree Buck! The BIG Craze these Days is to run out and Buy a scope with Turrets you can adjust for X Yardage, Pretty much EVERY well known Scope Manufacture offers Scopes these Days with Customizable Turrets, Just send them your Data and they will Engrave Custom Turrets for your Scope That Matches the info you gave them (Bullet BC, Velocity, Elevation, Temp, etc.) If everything you have given them is Accurate you can literally Dial that Turret to Whatever Yardage and Let r Rip! Kenton industries is a MAJOR one that does this (Custom Turrets) 

Sad part is, This has become the way of Hunting these Days. ANYBODY that has Shot much long Range can attest to how EASILY things go AWOL Wrong, This is why i stay on Targets with this Stuff, I think it’s a HORRIBLE Chickenshit Thing to do to Big Game, Take a “Swing” at em at some INSANE Yardage and Hope for the best, The other one that AMAZES me is “I wanted to test my Gear and My Abilities” REALLY??? Do it on a Target NUMB NUTS!! 

Like you stated above. One of the reasons i practice a LOT of Long Range is having the ability to Make a LOOOOOONG Range Recovery Shot if ever needed? Hopefully i NEVER need to do that, but having the Ability to Cleanly Pull it off is an AWESOME Tool to have in your “Bag of Tricks”  :Red tup:  The other reason, and honestly the BIGGEST reason i shoot a LOT of Long Range Stuff, is i TRULY Love doing it!! There is just something REALLY cool about Hitting your Target at 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, even 1,000 Yards, I find it ADDICTING Fun!!

As for the shots taken at a long distance that I mentioned they were made to put down wounded animals shot with modern weapons by fools that should have never done what they did. After several shot they asked if that old gun could help them out. That's when you get over being upset with these jerks, then do what has to be done for the animal and no more suffering. "Old Gun" was a 1874 Sharps in 40/70 2/10, duplex load - 400 grain lead bullet (always carried a small range finder and my book of sight setting, so once you have the range you would adjust the step ladder tang sight just like you do with your modern scopes.)

Then you would get in the shooters face about hunting and doing what they had done, not caring about the animal they had just gut shot, assholes. I would have bad dreams about these few times for months after, should have probably shot the asshole that did such a bad thing.

Lewis the shooting you are doing is amazing for a smoke pole. The size of your target for the distances is pretty neat. The black-powder cartridge shoots at Virginia City NE used for the 1,000 yard shoot a buffalo cut out of a 4' X 8' piece of plywood (larger than yours by a bunch). You would see holes all over that piece of plywood.

Back