62" 70 lb. Amberjack

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
Story To Follow!!!!

DSC01399Small.jpg

And The Misses Too!!!!

DSC01401Small.jpg

Great pix Jim. I knew you going to find time for fishing.
I did not see junior on the pictures. Was he fishing?
By the way which part of you was used for the bait? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately the little guy couldn't handle the choppy gulf stream waters and spent the day in the cabin of the boat. My wife is officially hooked as a fisher person. We left the Bahia Marina in Ft. Lauderdale at 0800 and were into the deep blue brine of the Gulf Stream within a half hour. We spent the morning trying different live baits over multiple wrecks along the South Florida coast unsuccessfully until finally we had this brute solidly hooked up. I've never experienced a more powerful fish. Truly amazing and if it weren't for the Penn International 80 I don't think I would have ever saw him. We spent the rest of the day and early afternoon fishing live baits on the surface with the aid of kytes. Really a remarkable way to fish for different fish cruising the currents of the gulf, and definetly a good way to impress clients that have never witnessed such method. This is how my wife was able to hook up with her dolphin. Definetly the most colorful fish we have ever seen. So after a week of Theme parks and restaurants it was a great way to cap the family vacation...
Thanks guys...
Jimmy

NICE JIM!!! Great to mix some pleasure in with Family Vacation! :lol:

AWESOME fish!

I've caught amberjack out of Destin and Panama City, FL and out of Orange Beach, AL but NOTHING like THAT! That's the biggest one, in person(well, kind of!), I've ever seen!

I caught a couple of dolphin out of Cabo San Lucas a couple of years ago. One about that size and one a tad larger!

I know ya'll had a GREAT trip!

big6x6 said:
AWESOME fish!

I've caught amberjack but NOTHING like THAT! That's the biggest one, in person(well, kind of!), I've ever seen!

You took the words right out of my mouth! I have NEVER seen one that big! My grandpa had a trailer on the channel in the Keys when he retired.. used to spend 5 months a year down there... we would visit every year and fish from sun up to sun down... I have never seen a jack that big! WOW! looks like a great time!
Congrats!

The Captain of the boat told me out of the 5000 Jacks he has boated during his career he has never had one that big hit the deck. He was a hunter, and he equated that fish to a 180 class whitetail. I am extremely happy, so now all I need to do is find a 180 class whitetail :D
Thanks for all your kind words everybody. I think God rewarded me for marching all over Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure with my 5 year old. I have to admit, that I enjoyed the spiderman ride with him as well as the expressions on his face as he experienced all that the parks have to offer, more than catching that fish. I classified this vacation as a "not relaxing" but a more importantly "memory building vacation" . I loved every single minute of it :D :D :D :D

Know whut your sayin there Jim. I had my family there number of years ago and they wore me out! :lol: We were camping south of Orlando for a week. Stopped at Myrtle Beach on the way back for a second week to rest up! Had a great time too & when i look at those vhs movies ...its really neat to recollect. :lol:

Good Fish! That fish looked like it was built for speed. Hope the little guy got to feeling better its no fun being green around the gills with those seas.

As soon as we got back to the dock the "energizer bunny" was back to normal. I was kind of surprised he got sick. He has been out in the ocean on my boat in some pretty choppy water dozens of times. I think what did him in was the diesel exhaust. It was pretty heavy and and blowing right back into the cockpit. I know 2 stroke exhaust is bad but diesel is worse and it's the first time he ever experienced it. Anyway, he climbed up to the tuna tower on the way back and apologized to the captain for throwing up on his boat. The captain told him don't worry about it because he threw up really good :D That made him happy....

I agree about the diesel fumes. They can be nasty, especially if the injectors are a bit worn... It helps if the boat doesn't drift stern first into the wind too! The long range fishing boats on the California Coast know better now, so if a boat is built specifically for charter fishing, they try to design it so it drifts broadside to the wind. It's easier to fish from one that drifts like that too!

Anchoring is a different story, you are at the mercy of the current and the wind.

Great fish and it's good to hear that the family was able to go too.

Latest posts

Back