700ml Barrel contour?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlink

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
What contour would I need to order from McGowan? I see that 1.2 is recommended for the first 5 inches of the barrel on a few of the older posts. Looking at their standard contours I am between the Light and Medium target barrels. Was thinking barrel length around 25/26 inches. Any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA

I believe what you want is called the "Modified Sendero" contour. That was/is an extremely popular contour for the 700ML smokeless builds. Also, 25" is plenty.

Last edited:
They use to make a DMB-1 and DMB-2 Contour. DMB stands for Doug's Message Board. I don't know if McGowen still has the dimensions for these 2 contours. I have DMB-1 which is heavier than a Pacnor Modified Sendero and almost meets the 5" shank requirement that most everyone now subscribes to. Mine are 24" in length.

After contacting Dan an MCGowan they no longer offer either of the DMB contours. I'm waiting for his reply on Sendero or Pac-Nor #7 contour.

The #7 contour is really heavy while the Sendro is a little on the light side for sabotless. Do they offer any other contour options?

So looking they offer their barrels in PAC-Nor #1-7. I would like to have a barrel that could handle sabotless loads. Talking to them after he said they no longer offer DMB contours he said just send us the existing barrel with the gun so we can match it. I told him I thought a 5in 1.2 shank was recommended and I would adjust my stock to fit the barrel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There were a lot of smokeless barrels made that are the same outside profile as the factory 700ml smoker barrel

Factory contour with 50cal sabot loads should be safe but a good measurement of the shank would be a good idea. The vast majority of MLII "book loads" dont break 34kpsi. N110 loads can but they peak fast and fall fast too.

Latest posts

Back