772 million accounts have been breached, 21 million paste words captured and viewed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
Some hackers have put together several data banks of stolen information and passwords to reach the astounding number of 772 million! accounts breached. They have decoded encrypted passwords and now have around 21 million deciphered and collected.
I went to a sight called "Have you been PWNED" that permits you to enter a password to see if it have been compromised. Two of my old passwords have been seen by 7 to 9 individuals. Scary as hell!
Here is the site to check to see if your own passwords have been compromised. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I am in the process of changing my passwords that made it to the list.

Ron

GOD, will get them in the end. they think they are free and clear, they will die screaming.

how do yo know the site where you can check to see if your passwords have been hacked are not doing the same thing?

I checked several respected sites for the legitimacy of PWNED. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-websites-for-finding-out-if-youve-been-hacked/
A quote from the article: "Have I Been Pwned is one of the oldest, most popular, and best sites in the game. The site works hard to track down breaches, verify them as legitimate, and nab data so you can check it out."

This was confirmed on other sites. Forbes magazine recommended the site. CNET similarly recommended the site.
Ron

So... we enter a password? We give ours to them to check? I guess I am not sure how this is safe, either?

I entered several passwords I have used. Most were not in the illicit data base, but 2 were. One had been seen 9 times and one 7 times.
I went to the sites with the exposed passwords and changed the password. It was a pain and took time, but I feel much better having removed the compromised passwords.
Ron

Back