777 Shelf Life

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhwwlmc

Reaction score
I have read numerous times about the short shelf life of Pyrodex, but have found little information on 777 powder. A few years ago I bought a case of 777 x fffg powder. I still have 5 bottles that I have never opened, plus they were stored in a dark storage room in my basement, that is humidified. I also have a can or so that were opened, but also stored in the original cans, in a dry box.
What are your experiences with storing 777 powder?
Does it still shoot the same groups?

I dont know about 777, but I just finnished a bottle of Pyrodex I bought in 1998. Seemed to work fine and it had been opened, but kept sealed for the last 9 years or so.
I would think as long as the 777 was sealed it should be good.

mhwwlmc

I am not sure what the manufacturer says but I have some really old T7 that is still in sealed containers... It really shoots very well... If it is stored properly I do not think there is a shelf life.... After I open a bottle i try to use it regularly - but when no in use the lid is on tight and the bottle is sealed...

old T7

I thought i read that someone stored it long term after opening in a vaum sealed bag like meat? I thought i read that?

If the jugs are unopend, it will last a really long time! I usually use enough to keep the opened container fresh. Since Blackhorn 209 came out I have not shot any since February!

Re: old T7

Bucker said:
I thought i read that someone stored it long term after opening in a vaum sealed bag like meat? I thought i read that?

I have been using the triple7 pellets and that is what I usually do,( to hold over winter), but last year I forgot and they seemed to have absorbed some moisture, and when I went shooting recently, I was all over the paper, I just posted the question in another section of this form, if this could be the problem I had with the accuracy, I was all over the paper, in fact a couple of times the cap would not ignite the powder, (Time for new pellets) or should I go with the loose powder? I shoot a Knight Revolution, Thanks O. B

I never had any problem with storing it, sold all 8 pounds I had left of my last case after I shot BH209 a couple times. Lee

I have some Pyrodex RS that is about 12 years old and haven't noticed a problem with it. Also some 3 year old Triple se7en loose..no problems. I have some pellets of each but find my gun shoots better groups with the loose powder. I believe the loose containers seal better than the pellet boxes!!!
Art Sehnke :?:

Back