A friends 'cure' for crud ring, does this sound reasonable??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
A buddy just took up muzzle-loading 2 years ago and discovered the crud ring using T7 in his Omega. It was bad enough that he couldn't seat a second shot consistently and was getting terrible groups. He went the usual route, called T/C and they sent him a new breech plug, recommended T7 primers and the usual stuff which never works. He claims to have beat the problem by going to 3 pellets. His reasoning is that he has not eliminated the problem but he has moved the bullet up away from the ring. I can't argue with his groups, they are consistent for 5 shots - without swabbing!!! His regular cleaning routine is to pull a boresnake through a couple times after shooting 5-6 shots and that's it during the season. Afterwards he does a good wet cleaning for storage. I use loose powder but heck if this solves the problem i would rather hunt with pellets.
Anyone here use 3 pellet loads and think they could seat 4 bullets without swabbing and get nice groups?

3 pellets of 777? I'll bet that sumbeech kicks like a friggen mule.

BAAAA-WOOOOM!

RECOIL and SMOKE!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I watched him unload after hunting in the pouring rain all day Tues. Bucked him pretty hard. It was really wild to see the amount of smoke that produced. Perfect conditions for it, 36 degrees, slight drizzle, no wind and the column of smoke went about 25 yds downrange. Way more than my 100 gr T7 FFFg load.

I think it is reasonable. Normally I'm a Savage shooter, but in preparation for an up-coming hunt in New Mexico, I've been shooting my Encore with 3 50 gr. pellets of 777 and TMZ 290's. Last trip to the range, I put the first bullet .5" high at 100 yards. After enjoying the moment, I loaded without swabbing and had no trouble, and put the 2nd shot .5" low. After further "atta boys" I swabbed and put the 3rd shot 1.5" right. Swabbing for me consists of lightly applying #13 to a synthetic patch, carefully working it to the breech plug and then a 2nd dry patch. The only problem I would have with your buddy's procedure is waiting until the season was over to thoroughly clean it. I will probably have only one more range session before I leave. If the first two bullets duplicate the last session, I will clean it without taking the scope off, and call it good to go.

Best regards - Cob

Back