A lazy day with a M97 White .451

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Today I decided to sit in the sun and take it easy. So I took out my White inline Model 97. I put the target up at 50 yards and decided to test some things.

Rifle: .451 caliber White Model 97. Has a 22 inch stainless steel barrel.
Scope: Bushnell Elite 2-7x32mm
Ignition: percussion cap. RWS 1075 caps used.
Powder: Goex, Pyrodex P, Triple Seven 2f
Projectile: No Excuses 460 grain pure lead .451 conical bullet
Swabbing: Rusty Duck Black Off. I only swabbed when I changed powders. So there was a total of three swabs. Most the time ten shots were fired before I swabbed. Although I did on occasion clean the nipple to help load the RWS caps further down the nose.
Weather Conditions: 82 degrees and a slight wind. But sunny.

Everyone is on a powder kick. They want the the best powder, the cleanest powder, the most powerful powder, and the biggest powder charge. The other night I was reading from Doc White's web site and it seems some of his recommend hunting loads in a .451 caliber is 60 grains of powder. 60 grains to many would be a joke right? But in reality, 60 grains shooting a 460 grain projectile would be more then enough to take a white tail deer. I am not sure what the speed or energy of that load would be, but I think to 100 yards it would have no problem if you hit what you aim at. Perhaps some White shooters have personal experience with low powder charges, deer hunting and distances, they like to add to this.

Normally I shoot 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f powder. But today I started out with 60 grains of Pyrodex P. The rifle of course loaded easy with the No Excuses conical. But I could not move the conical off the charge. So that was a good thing. I then fired a five shot group. No swabbing was done at all.

DSCN1318-1.jpg

It shot a little lower then I thought. Perhaps it was the heat, or the fact I was shooting as fast as I wanted with no concern for barrel heat. But like I said... the normal load it 80 grains of T-7 2f. So it might be just the fact that the velocity was reduced. Needless to say, I was pleased with the accuracy and the recoil was next to nothing. What a sweet load to shoot.

I then kicked the Pyrodex charge up to 65 grains of powder.

DSCN1320-1.jpg

The group remained pretty much the same as far as distance from the bull. Shot #8 climbed higher and shots 9&10 also moved up. Over all, this is a good group for not swabbing and paying no attention to barrel heating up.

This is where I swabbed the barrel clean. I mean actually to the point that there was little fouling coming out of the barrel with Rusty Duck patches. I then went to the Triple Seven 2f and moved the measure back down to 60 grains.

DSCN1327-1.jpg

On a clean barrel and again with no swabbing I did a five shot group with 60 grains. It was very tight! And I mean real good I thought. I then moved up to 65 grains of Triple Seven. One of those five went into the lower group which was the 60 grain group. But the other four formed that group in the bull. I was more then pleased. Could 65 grains of Triple Seven 2f be my super white tail deer load? For the ranges I shoot it would sure work. Also I noted when I was swabbing the barrel clean for the next powder test, there was no crud ring. I mean none. Could this be because the charges were so low, or the fact I was shooting conical bullets? Could the #11 caps be the cause of it? Maybe the nice weather? I really do not know. The bore swabbed out real easy.

Next powder up was Goex 3f. Here I moved the charge to 70 grains. I did this because that is the powder charge this rifle used to like. I wanted to see if it would shoot good again with that powder.

DSCN1328-1.jpg

The first shot was the lowest. But the next four were right in there. A thing that puzzles me. When I sight the rifle in in late fall before our deer season, it shoots dead on at 50 yards. So a question to you... does shooting in the heat move a group down that much? Have you ever notice a difference like that with your rifles?

Over all it was a good day. 25 rounds was half the new box of conical bullets. I decided that was enough for the day. But it does give me food for thought. 65 grains of T-7 might be my new deer load. I just wonder how well that big conical would expand with that kind of powder charge.

And clean up was a snap. This rife was treated with Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner and it swabbed out in about three or four patches. Cleaning the parts took longer then the barrel. And Sabotloader, I used your pink tape on the breech plug today. 25 shots and it backed out as easy as it went in. thanks...

Dave, I use 70grs of powder and never had any expansion problems with the 6 deer I've killed with the Whites. Thats the kind of groups I get (and expect) from mine. Good shooting 8) .

I agree a lower powder charge will be more consistant in a White. I have taken a Whitetail Deer at 200 yards with my G series Whitetail .451. I was shooting a 460 grain copper gas checked conical over 60gr FFG T7. The deer was broadside walking and the shot was in the boiler room and a complete pass through. The deer went about ten yards and expired.

I am not sure of the lower POI you experianced if it was due to heat or the charge.

Well that is good to know. If 60 grains will flatten a deer at 200 yards and pass through, my 50 yard shots with 65 grains of the same stuff should be a piece of cake. Actually that is good to know. Where do you sight in to shoot that far? There must be a heck of a drop?

That 60 grains of Pyrodex P was a good load as well. All my Whites shoot well. But this .451 is a real sweet shooter.

Even at only 1100fps at the muzzle the high sectional density just keeps pushing that big ole chunk of lead. Thats a good sized bullet even by old 45/90+ bullet standards and carries way over 800fpe for a long way even at 1100fps MV.

I dont know what yours is moving but thats just for a reference.

Sofar in my slower twist 45s, the largest conical ive tried is 360gr and it shot fantastic with about 80grs of BH209. I wouldnt call the recoil mild though. :p

I will guess that your numbers are close GM54-120. And I agree that you would have still plenty of energy down range.

That would be so cool to shoot that far. But where I live, 50 yards is a long way. Unless I get in the hardwoods or hay fields.

0.45/460 caliber and bullet weight. 80 grains of Pyrodex P powder.
1240 muzzle velocity. 1571 muzzle energy in ft/lbs. 1135 100 yard velocity. 1317 100 yard muzzle energy. 1058 200 yard velocity. 1143 200 yard muzzle energy. (according to Doc White).

Reading on Doc's site, he shot a moose with 70 grains of black powder and a 475 grain conical bullet.

Running it through the calculator it would have 1000fpe or more at 200yards with a 1100fps MV depending on the actual BC. At 50 yards the fps is just barely less than the muzzle and soft lead should work great in that range.

I can get some unlubed 458 540 grainers if you want to try them but they are not pure lead. Semi spitzer or round nose. :D

P1010339-1.jpg

Good shooting, Dave! 8) You might give Bullshop's 488gr'ers a try. I had the best results with that bullet from my .451s. What you're using now looks pretty awesome.

I've tried several different powders with my Whites,,and while they all did pretty good, I settled on Swiss 3F,,and have been using it for several years now.

I use 70gr. and have chrony'd my 496gr. .504s at 1315fps on average.

You'll have no problem dropping a whitetail at the distances you normally shoot at with what you're using.

Expansion won't be a concern when you use pure lead. Here's a Trashcan from a hog shot at a mere 18 inches while he attempted to run over me... :shock: :lol:

hogbullet2.jpg

He lost that "battle".... :wink:

Now that is what I call expansion Batchief.

I have a bunch of 460 Bull Shop conicals but never knew he offered some in 488 grain. I will have to get some of them. That should be interesting. I noticed in Doc's ramblings about bullets and powders, he always tends to lean to the heavier conical bullets most the time.

I remember you telling the story of that 18 inch shot. I really think I would have been climbing a tree (if one was around). Otherwise I know I could have laid out a grease slick through the cuffs of my pants that the hog would have slipped on and maybe broke a leg. :D

I looked for a full box of 488's I thought I had layin' around to send to ya Dave,,,,but the only one I found had 2 bullets in it. I either sent it to someone else,,or melted 'em down fer real bullets. Heck,,,I can't keep track nowadays. :oops: :lol:

Them 488's I got from Dan really shined out of the .451 tho.... 8) If I come across the box I thought I had left....I'll send 'em to ya. I need to start casting up a bunch for the upcoming season,,,,,and God only knows what I'll find amongst my crap... :lol:

Is Dan casting again? I need to order another ten boxes of conical bullets. Five for each caliber.

I dunno for sure. You might get ahold of UC to find out what Dan's doing right now. Definately get some 488gr'ers to try out if he's casting. 8) You might try asking for some at DWBs. I'm sure someone will have a few to send ya. 8)

If I come across the dang box I think I have somewhere around here...you're gonna get it. :lol:

I remember one time asking Doc what he thought was the best optimum bullet weight for the .451 as I was looking to create another mold from Dan Mountain mold and he said 475gr. So I would think Bullshops 488gr bullet should be close enough.

Latest posts

Back