A lazy day with a M97 White .451

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I have not tried their 495 grain. Might be something to consider when I make my next purchase from them.

Ed.. good information. I will keep that in mind. I looked at Bull Shops site. He's changed it some, and could not find the 488 grain listed so I shot him off an email to double check. Plus I can then work up a big order so once he starts casting, I can be right there. Didn't you shoot a hog with your .451? If I remember, it was you and it flattened a hog real good.

Yep, I've taken two hogs with my 451. One was with a 475gr Whitworth bullet and another with a 460gr. The hog that I shot with the 475 gr took two hits, not because of the gun or bullet but due to me thinking the heart etc was in the same location as a deer. Had I put the bullet on the shoulder, I know that hog would have died on the spot. The one I shot with a 460gr ran a few yards before expiring.

I took my best hog with a 488gr'er out of my .451, Dave. It ran about 30 yards also. Never recovered the slug,,,but one heck of a blood trail.

But it was not a pass through I take it? Still a good blood trail is all a person can ask for. That and they do not run far.

Where I hunt in the thick stuff, you don't want a deer moving too far in. Not only are they hard to find, but near impossible to get out. I am taking from experience.

I shot one HUGE doe on my land. It was an over cast and lightly snowing day. She ran in about 50 yards. I was on my hands and knees trailing/tracking her and it was slow going. Then it hit me... I finally decided the dog needed to go for a walk. Well he found that dead deer in about three minutes.

She'd run only 60 yards in at most. I took a GPS marker on her. After I took him back home, I went and retrieved her. Even with the GPS it was hard to find her again. I got so turned about in that thick underbrush that I no longer knew where I was or what direction I should head. Thank goodness for a GPS. I had pulled/carried her for about thirty yards or so. And I was about spent. When I checked my GPS again, it said one of my ATV trails was just a little ways ahead. Sure enough, so I went and got my ATV and a lot of rope. I winched her up a hill to high ground and was never so glad to recover a deer. After that I stared hunting that thick stuff with only a White Ultra Mag. I figured I would plant them on a trail and then not have to go through all of that again.

Nice report! Those 450+ grain bullets are huge! From the research I've done, on a hot day, your bullet should be traveling at a higher velocity versus a cold day where the air is much denser and will slow your bullet down faster. I would think that your bullet should hit a little higher in the summer compared to fall and winter shooting. Yours was the opposite so I'll have to do some more research to see if I can find an answer as to why.

Rich, what goes on between your shorts and me is between us!! Oh those shorts! :oops: :oops: :D :D
UC
The other day I casted up some of Rich's 445gr 504 UC Shorts. I fired them once before and they shot pretty good, but I never did put much time into them being I have so many of Bullshops 460 gr connicals sized 504.5 for my Ultra-Mag and they always shot well. Well being it was a lazy hot summer day with a few hours to kill I casted up a bunch and took them to the range. Shooting 65gr of Swiss 3F they were creating one big hole at 50 yds about 1.5" high. At 75 yds they were still tight but were about .5 high and at 100 yds, they were about 1.5" low. To me that's pertty flat shooting for a 445+ gr connical. In the past shooting 460gr plus connicals I would get at least a 3-4 in drop at 100 yds.

While not a 451, Rich's 445gr UC Short will be the bullet I will be using this year with my Ultra-Mag.

I remember years ago when I first started shooting my .451 White's there was a dealer in Hawaii (Forget his Name?? :lol: ) who told me all about the merits of the .451 White and to start my loads with 70gr of Proydex P and work my way up to maybe 80-90gr. Now 70gr shot extremly well, but being MORE Power has got to be better right?? I went up to 90gr of Pryodex P. Don't know why the light bulb didn't go off if I was getting one big hole with 70gr at 50 yds why change or try a lower charge and see what happens.

I guess what my wife says is true sometimes 'You're as bright as a 2 Watt bulb, even when your lite, you're not too bright" SIGH :oops:

I cast up fifty of them UC Short Mags a while back and tried them. They were a real good shooting round. I was shooting 80 grains of T-7. Guess I have to cast some more up and try them with less powder. I was shooting them out of my Ultra Mag as well.

Latest posts

Back