A little help needed.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a 209x50 magnum Encore barrel recently. The bore is pristine but the breech plug was pitted and blocked. I cleaned the breech plug up and cleaned the hole through it the best I could. I used a small drill twisted by hand to clean the primer side and an oxy acetylene torch tip cleaner to clean the small hole on the powder side. The end on the powder side is concaved. Is this for loose powder? Okay to use pellets?

Since the twist is 1-28, I plan on using the same bullet / sabot combination as my other inline ( 250gr TC shockwaves).

What is everyone using for a range rod?

Been using a TC platform for 30 years but never put a BP barrel on it.

Thanks in advance.

I purchased a 209x50 magnum Encore barrel recently. The bore is pristine but the breech plug was pitted and blocked. I cleaned the breech plug up and cleaned the hole through it the best I could. I used a small drill twisted by hand to clean the primer side and an oxy acetylene torch tip cleaner to clean the small hole on the powder side. The end on the powder side is concaved. Is this for loose powder? Okay to use pellets?

Since the twist is 1-28, I plan on using the same bullet / sabot combination as my other inline ( 250gr TC shockwaves).

What is everyone using for a range rod?

Been using a TC platform for 30 years but never put a BP barrel on it.

Thanks in advance.
I am sure you can use either. I prefer loose but that is just me, as i like to tailor it to suit my needs.

You may want to measure the flash hole on that plug. Use your torch tip cleaners and a caliper. When new the flash hole should be about .030”. When it gets eroded to .036/.037”, most guys replace the plug as accuracy can suffer.

Latest posts

Back