A little shotgun clean up work

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Took the old 16ga out into the shop today and did some cleaning of the bores and noticed a tiny bit of wiggle between the hammer and tumbler shaft. I removed the lock and hammer screw and took note of some slight gaps, removed the hammer and peened the back side of the hammer in those areas. Tightened it right up!

I still have a little more scrubbing to do in the bores, but they are clean, just want to spend a little extra at the muzzles, then grease the nipples and put her away until its sold or it gets the best of me and I take it out shooting :lol!:

This one is actually a really nice shotgun! When I got it, I cleaned everything up except the bores, and have been rubbing on a real thin coat of linseed oil into the wood and letting it set up for 2 weeks at a time before applying another thin coat. Taking on a real nice finish.
53070210.jpg

52877810.jpg

53279010.jpg

53206710.jpg

52832910.jpg

I use a tiny chisel on the backside of the hammer to tighten them onto the arbor. That is a nice plain workmanlike gun.  I bet it is nicely balanced . I really enjoy waking up old guns. You could give the bores a light hone with some fine wet and dry.

Looks great FG.  Having owned both 20ga and 12ga the 16ga would seem to be a nice all-around.

Latest posts

Back