A little wire inlay fun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhinoDave

Reaction score
First deciding on an image
DSCF3166.jpg

Cutting in the image and inserting the wire.
DSCF3208.jpg

Filing the wire flush. 
DSCF3216.jpg

Finished product
DSCF3297.jpg

now that is what i call really good. not to take away from anything but to add to it, get some HUTS plastic polish and with a pure flannel cotton cloth rub that finish out to a even higher gloss. it would be worth doing.

Looks great!! I love it!!  Great looking mountain rifle too!  You don't normally see them as nice.

How about a elk for the other side?
DSCF3263.jpg

Inserted and filed flush
DSCF3268.jpg

Finished inlay
DSCF3301.jpg

Smokin' Joe said:
....................  You don't normally see them as nice.
I gave it a bit of a facelift after I got it. This a shot of the before......
DSCF2918.jpg

The panel around the lock looks real nice as well. Almost reminds me of the browning mountain rifle. Very sleek looking. What did you stain that maple with?

Reshaping the lock panels was part of the facelift along with reshaping the cheek and a little slimming. The stain was a water based Mahogany and several coats of tru-oil.
DSCF3178.jpg

Do a video showing how you cut into the wood, with what tool, etc.  Not that I'll ever have the nerve to do it.

That wire work is so 8) .  Beautiful heirloom you've crafted there RhinoDave!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. There we go again, another Forum Member showing off their talent.  Good read...great pics :Red tup:

Absolutely fabulous. 

Do-it-your-selfers usually do something that looks OK but with obvious flaws. Yours are flawless. Excellent job.  :Red tup:

I would also appreciate some detailed instruction on how to do this as I have an older T/C Hawken I am having the barrel redone to 54 and would like to customize the stock with some wire work
Thanks,
MikeW (Elkfever)

Your wire inlay work is off the charts. You do a very nice job. Is this something you do for the fun of it or are you redoing these and selling them? Thanks Al

Joe Keeslar has three very good youtube videos that will do a better job of explaining how to do wire inlay. There are also many other videos available on you tube. If you do a search on "wire inlay tools" it will give you many options on how to make tools and how to use them. Personally, I use tools made from old exacto blades and some old inexpensive carving tools that I have modified for my needs. Here's a link to Joes first video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ppTPPxDGh0
 I do this  mainly for fun as  Winter projects. I do not normally buy and sell . The TC and the CVA are my own personal rifles and will eventually go to my son and son-in-law. I did do one earlier rifle that was bought as a practice rifle to see if I could still do this with any sort of ability(thirty year layoff) and I did sell that rifle to free up some income.  I am currently working on a Traditions Penn. rifle and have a Hopkins & Allen lined up next for projects but with developing arthritis and an occassional case of the shakes, It's taking alot longer to work on these.

Back