A puzzle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70

Reaction score
How can a 104 yard shot with a 250 grain XTP pushed by 44 grains of 5744 hit a deer on one side, make a hole on the other side at a 45 degree angle, yet the bullet (core and jacket) was found under the skin on the side towards the shooter? NO bones broken on the side towards the shooter. I'll weigh the bullet tomorrow to see how big of frag it could have lost, but why was it under the skin on the shooter side anyway? Possible pics to follow.

I weighed the bullet and there are forty grains missing. The deer took a step at the shot and thus the bullet hit the liver. The forty grain piece must have ranged forward and exited out the top of the far shoulder blade. From the wound track, I doubt there was much of a chance of her being hit prior to my shot. Maybe the old physics principle stating for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction applies? The liver absorbed the punch, some energy was directed forward while most of the bullet bounced back?

Whatever happened the results are the same, venison in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back