Advice for Late Season?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I already punched my buck tag in the early muzzleloader season (I am in Maryland). We are now in the second split a muzzleloader season which runs until New Year's Day. In the early part of the season I had a lot of success hunting the edge of a field – the field is 300 yards long by 150 yards wide. In the last two weeks I have gone out three times twice for the afternoon and once for the morning and not seen a single deer. This field reliably produced a ton of sightings in the early season. I suspect that given how late we are in the season, that means that this area has been heavily pressured and that the deer are not moving until well after sunset. I am inclined to move off the edge of the field, deeper into the woods hoping to place myself between their bedding areas and the field. Given the size of the field there are multiple entry points from where I have seen deer emerge from the woods into the field end so, I was wondering, if anybody had advice about how to narrow down which path out of the woods I am might be best advice to set up in?

I saw your other post and feel your deer have gone nocturnal. I'd get in the field with a spool of sewing thread and loosely thread the trails to see which are getting used and which direction the deer are traveling when the use them. Or trail cams. Then I'd find bedding areas near those trails and use that info to get set up well off the fields and expect very near to dark travel to or from those bedding areas.

If you've had a heavy frost, I think the deer are on a different food source and not feeding on grass, especially if it's turned brown.
I'd say to walk the field edge to look for any sign.
Hunting farther back in the woods might be where you want to be.

Late season hunting is usually totally different than early season hunting. I assume this is public land because you mentioned the area being heavily pressured. My suggestion is to find their food source and hunt a trail heading to or from it. With cold weather and post rut, the deer should be hitting food sources hard.

Late season can be a great time for whitetails. I know on our farm in Dorchester Md it is always hot 3 weeks prior to gun season and once gun season starts the deer are just nocturnal. Second week of late Muzzleloader it always picks back up. Now is the time to find the food source and concentrate on that.. Good luck.

see if you can find some oaks with acorns still on the ground . maybe an area that has lots of cover. i would still
use a scent rag with doe/buck scent to up your odds! good luck and dress warm. i think i may do some
afternoon hunts with X BOW may be warmer.

For me they have gone nocturnal. After a fresh snow and a night to feed there are tracks everywhere. Just need to wait for one of them to forget the danger and head out a little earlier. Like all hunting its a matter of the more time you spend at it the better your chances of seeing or killing something.

Right now Im waiting to take a doe for the neighbor. I have my TC renegade out there with a 385 grain Great plains, .54 wad, and 80 grains of Swiss. Ive passed a few opportunities cause I want to shoot one with that gun. Upon being successful I need to go to the club and see how Eds bullets shoot. I want to take a doe with one of those too. Then Ill have my 4 deer for the year.

fresh snow is the way to go. but if no snow , need a back up plan! that's why i said acorns or other food in the area.
if your state allowed sling a 100 lb. bag of corn in a quite area. set up camera see what time they are around and
get settled in.

I rarely sit on the edge of a field during late season. Depending on what trails I find I might sit as far as 150 yds from the field. Often times closer. Often times deer will stage up in an area back in the brush. I've seen them do this for a half hour or forty five minutes.

Yesterday afternoon they let their guard down. I got to the blind at 3:20 and did a few cleanup chores from the heavy winds we have been having. Got in the blind, turned on the heat, cracked the windows a bit, and settled in to read "Do Your Ears Pop In Space". I figured it would be a while so was having fun reading. I looked up a few minutes later and there were two big does and 2 fawns standing at 80 yards or closer. The time was 3:40. They knew something was up and were retreating slowly to the back part of the property. I wanted to use my TC Renegade but at 110 yards was a little further that what I wanted to shoot. I pulled my Knight Elite out and a big doe stood broadside . Took the shot and she traveled about 25 yards.

I few weeks ago I had asked my neighbor who raises sheep, goats, and pigs if he wanted a doe. He replied he would so I sent him a text and he was out to get it in no time. Been seeing a lot of deer. Most of them when its getting late and dark.

Don't know how your deer are on Christmas Day. Here in N.E. Missouri, they've started to herd up. Nine in one field last night at dusk. Daytime they go lie down in the woods. Still hunting you'll see deer. Mostly erect tails running away. Not a good plan.

This afternoon, I'll take a thermos of coffee, pack of Kools, Christmas goodies, and my Flint SML to a treestand between their bedroom and dining room. I have a sick or injured doe to check on. If she/it is still looking bad, that will be my deer for the year.

Otherwise, my plan is to enjoy the afternoon and another sunset. Merry Christmas.

Latest posts

Back