Afternoon hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I managed to get out of work early by an hour so I headed home and got ready to go hunt the afternoon with the muzzleloader. My wife's vehicle is malfunctioning and after all I tried to do in order to fix it failed. So we had to have it towed to the auto mechanic. I stayed at the house until it was towed then proceeded to hunt the back part of my property.

I donned my Polar fleece pants and obligatory hunter orange along with my TC Contender muzzleloader and out the back door.

I walked down the hill to check the trail camera I have next to a pop up blind. After replacing the batteries and putting in a new chip I went to the other camera and switched chips.

I took out my pull up rope and slipped a carabiner over the sling of my TC and day pack. I walked up the rungs of the ladder stand facing westward towards a large swamp. It snowed the other day so my cushion seat was frozen. Brushed off the snow and flipped it over. Although the other side was drier it wasn't completely dry.

I sat there facing west and could smell the smoke of a woodstove as it wafted its way across the land. I chose to hunt my ladder stand because I was busted last week in my pop up blind. I figured the same would happen today since the winds were not in my favor.

After a while I could hear things moving in the swamp in the back of me. For some reason I knew it was deer that were making the noise

Soon as the sun was setting I saw a deer behind me. I readied my TC and spotted the deer. I tried to discern as much as possible if it had antlers. It was a doe. I made a promise to my wife to not shoot any does on our land. I suppose I could but I don't want to rock the boat of domestic bliss.

In the distance downwind and to the east of me I overheard more movement. It was a larger doe. I suspect it is the two does that more or less call our place home. Again they get a free pass. I do have on my cameras a three point and an eight point. They are fair game, if I can see them in order to shoot one of them.

For a solid half hour I watched the two does mill about to the south and east of me feeding and milling about. There was a third deer but I could not really discern the thing well enough to shoot.

I decided to call it a night and began the process of getting down the treestand. I took my pack and TC and reconnected it to the carabiner-cord I use to lower it to the ground. In this process I must have spooked that deer but not a great deal . I heard it trot off not blow and bolt. I hope that I didn't really spook it off but the plan is to hunt some property I have permission on in a neighboring town.

I will state something else. I must be stressed out as I forgot something very simple yet pivotal for success. While I was walking to my stand I "loaded" up my gun by putting a 209 shotshell primer in the breech of the TC. I took it out to climb my ladder stand but forgot to reload while in the stand.

Maybe it was a good thing that the buck didn't show up. I'd have lost it when the hammer would fall and the only report would be CLICK.

Right now I am sitting in my recliner waiting for a wonderful supper my wife made. Roast turkey breast with roasted broccoli. The whole room is filled with the aroma of spices and good food as well as a wonderful wife.

Well these things happen. At least you saw deer. That always makes the time in the woods seem special. Better luck next time out.

Sounds like you are blessed. Seeing deer is better than not. A good warm house and a good wife with a home cooked meal was a good way to end the day. Maybe you'll get the eight point next time. Good luck.

Nice story, enjoyed reading it. Seems like more hunts go like that than end up at the taxidermist. Oh well, to me, there really are no bad days afield.

Almost did the same thing the first day out this year. Walked to the blind before daylight, get in the blind and get everything arranged. Sit down and wait for daylight. It turns shooting time and I just sit there looking for deer and thinking. About 20 minutes go by and all of a sudden I think shoot dumb @ss you didn't put a primer in your gun. Good thing no shot opportunities came up.
Don

Sounds like a great hunt. Success is not always measured the same..

PS... I was going to bust your balls about not reloading because of COURSE... non of us have ever done something THAT dumb..... :mrgreen:

I hunted again today after work and saw four does.

After arriving home I went on another deer hunt in the back. To cut to the chase I saw four does. What was odd was their initial behavior.

I am in a treestand about 18 feet up a large white pine tree. The wind is at my face and the deer were at my right or north side.

At first I heard some movement then saw two flags. It seemed that for a couple of minutes they were running around in a circle about three times. I could not nor would I shoot( bucks only on my small patch) but for a moment I though, maybe there is a buck chasing them during the second rut.

Well for about one half hour they made a circle around me then headed up the hill. I could have taken a shot and connected on three of the four as they came into view but I don't want to.

Maybe that buck will show up by December 31st

Latest posts

Back