Ain’t that the truth !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
You guys be safe this hunting season !

Attachments

• C66EB4F4-D6AF-4791-AD8D-E98A4C5BCC4F.jpeg
    C66EB4F4-D6AF-4791-AD8D-E98A4C5BCC4F.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 408
Sigh, that's all I have access to. :(

One year I had a guy plop himself about 75 yds directly in front of me. I even flashed my flashlight at him several times. He just flashed back and sat down. I approached him and he basically said "Hey this is state land I can hunt anywhere I want." Told him he better keep a big tree to his back cause if a buck runs between us, I'm shooting. Turns out a buck came up the way I expected him to and he got it! :twisted:

I used to hunt public national forest lands here in VA. but not much anymore, main reason the deer have moved down to the low lands where the food is. I'm sure there are still some deer up in the mountains, but hard core an hard to get to back in there a mile or so. I have dragged deer out where the hair was rubbed off one side by the time I got to the truck. We used to walk in an hour before daylight an let the stragglers push deer to us, which worked more than once. I still remember the first days of the season when it sounded like a war with all the shooting, but no body got shot that I know of.

Now in my latter 60's I just walk into private land with permission, a couple hundred yards, an usually take a deer out eventually with little drag time with a deer cart or I can drive the truck up for an easy load to my butcher shed. :wink:

I once sat in a climber about fifteen feet in the air and watched two guys in full body orange jumpsuits walk within thirty feet of me three times in less than an hour as they "hunted". I doubt they even knew they were walking in circles and heard them coming long before I could see them. There was so much shooting going on that morning I was afraid to get off of my stand. I waited until ten o'clock then walked out a half mile singing Old Man River at the top of my voice - hoping those guys knew that deer don't sing.

toytruck said:
I used to hunt public national forest lands here in VA. but not much anymore, main reason the deer have moved down to the low lands where the food is. I'm sure there are still some deer up in the mountains, but hard core an hard to get to back in there a mile or so. I have dragged deer out where the hair was rubbed off one side by the time I got to the truck. We used to walk in an hour before daylight an let the stragglers push deer to us, which worked more than once. I still remember the first days of the season when it sounded like a war with all the shooting, but no body got shot that I know of.

Now in my latter 60's I just walk into private land with permission, a couple hundred yards, an usually take a deer out eventually with little drag time with a deer cart or I can drive the truck up for an easy load to my butcher shed. :wink:
You can have thousands of acres all to yourself around here because no one wants to work that hard to not see a deer for 5 days. My dad and I hunted those mountain deer hard last year, and saw 3 bucks total, but two of those bucks, well...
268fa2f5a7d44df830bbc26979327c08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8) Very nice 50!! I bet those weren't easy to get out if you were far from the vehicle!! I'm at the point in life I like young bucks an does for eating, better all around than a big ole stinky biggun, but if one happens along...

toytruck said:
8) Very nice 50!! I bet those weren't easy to get out if you were far from the vehicle!! I'm at the point in life I like young bucks an does for eating, better all around than a big ole stinky biggun, but if one happens along...
I usually don’t hunt the mountains until I am comfortable with my freezer situation. I don’t want to be tempted to shoot a meat buck. That drag is bad enough when it has a nice set of horns attached to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 115 acres with deer all over. Sad part is I don't hunt. I have offered to let people hunt it in exchange for helping with some land maintenence. No takers :huh?: I guess me and the Mrs will just sit on the back porch and watch the deer walk by.

scubadad said:
I have 115 acres with deer all over. Sad part is I don't hunt. I have offered to let people hunt it in exchange for helping with some land maintenence. No takers :huh?: I guess me and the Mrs will just sit on the back porch and watch the deer walk by.
What state if you don't mind posting?

edmehlig said:
Sigh, that's all I have access to. :(

One year I had a guy plop himself about 75 yds directly in front of me. I even flashed my flashlight at him several times. He just flashed back and sat down.
That happened to me last year, except the other guy had a tree stand there I hadn't seen. I had been there a while anyway, long enough to get cold, and need to answer natures call. (Coffee -> :drinkers:) So, I got up and liberally distributed my personal scent before leaving the area. Not sure if I should have done that, or just took the high road and left.

One year i hunted a nearly 7000 acre wildlife area on a 2 day managed hunt. They have 100 tags for that hunt through a lottery system. Not only did i have to contend with all of them, it seemed like every nature trail was loaded with people walking their dogs.

I hunt public land quite a bit and have been interfered with a bunch of times. Hunting is pore because of all the pressure. Very few deer. I would advise simply walking away from altercations with other hunters. You can never tell what a stranger will do. It's just not worth it.

Reading these experience, once again, has shown me how blessed one can be. Most of my life, lived in Montana; now we live in South Dakota. The hunting situation is about the same either place. Most always we hunt public land. What we do to avoid other hunters is leave camp/home after daylight. This allows one to see where all the 'others' are hunting. One then hunts where no one else is.

Latest posts

Back