Alternative source for vent liners....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
While surfing the web today I found an alternate source for Savage ventliners for those who are interested. They are priced less than others as well!

Savage 10 ML II
Single Hole Vent Liners

The Savage 10ML-II seems to consume a vent liner every 100-200 shots depending on powder used and primer used. We have added the single hole vent liner to our product line as an after market product.

Through the process of trial and error, we have found that accuracy is effected by the size of the vent hole. To allow our customers to further tweak their smokeless muzzleloaders, we now offer vent liners in .0305" and .033" hole sizes. We are very pleasantly surprised at the results that we have achieved by interchanging vent size with powder type and charge. Some guns have actually achieved levels of accuracy that were previously not possible.

Priced at $ 2.95 each or six for $ 12.95. Add them to you next bullet order and they will be shipped FREE. Specify hole size when ordering. Mix or match as you wish.

Toll Free Order Line

1-8778-BULLET

Savage Ventliners

big6x6 said:
While surfing the web today I found an alternate source for Savage ventliners for those who are interested. They are priced less than others as well!

Savage 10 ML II
Single Hole Vent Liners

The Savage 10ML-II seems to consume a vent liner every 100-200 shots depending on powder used and primer used. We have added the single hole vent liner to our product line as an after market product.

Through the process of trial and error, we have found that accuracy is effected by the size of the vent hole. To allow our customers to further tweak their smokeless muzzleloaders, we now offer vent liners in .0305" and .033" hole sizes. We are very pleasantly surprised at the results that we have achieved by interchanging vent size with powder type and charge. Some guns have actually achieved levels of accuracy that were previously not possible.

Priced at $ 2.95 each or six for $ 12.95. Add them to you next bullet order and they will be shipped FREE. Specify hole size when ordering. Mix or match as you wish.

Toll Free Order Line

1-8778-BULLET

Savage Ventliners

But they are not tempered as hard as RW's.

Sounds like a hell of good price but are made of good ole "US of A Hardened Steel" or soft Canadian stuff. :lol:

I cant seem to wear out those RW's... of course I only have about 300 or so shots through the first one of my 5 Pack which was even shipped with that Lucky "9 of Diamonds Playing Card" ! :lol:

I may change for the sake of changing at the end of this season though. I seem to be jinxed for 8 Pt or less for some reason! :lol:

Sounds like a hell of good price but are made of good ole "US of A Hardened Steel" or soft Canadian stuff

No, your government puts huge taxes on our soft steel.....oh no, that's our softwood lumber.

sheephunterab said:
Sounds like a hell of good price but are made of good ole "US of A Hardened Steel" or soft Canadian stuff

No, your government puts huge taxes on our soft steel.....oh no, that's our softwood lumber.

:huh?: "Softwood Lumber...International Govt Taxation Issues"? :? Thought topic was about ventliners & not the Timber Industry nor International Taxation issues? A Classic Thread Derailing attempt for sure. :roll:

This is fairly old news-- and now, for "the rest of the story."

The ventliner is part of the original Henry Ball patent, and is his intellectual property. The patent is still in force. Ventliners became problematic for a while, and with Henry Ball's permission-- long-life ventliners were made and sold by me, and continue to be.

After that, the Canadian clipper decided to sell ventliners, though he did not bother to ask permission, and later was told to cease and desist by Henry Ball. PR Bullet had no Savages to so much as test them in by that time.

Another case of a rip-off by PR Bullet, not the first or the last. A pity. Henry Ball will be happy to verify that: 336-854-3925.

RandyWakeman said:
After that, the Canadian clipper decided to sell ventliners, though he did not bother to ask permission, and later was told to cease and desist by Henry Ball. PR Bullet had no Savages to so much as test them in by that time.

You told me that Henry and Cecil came to an agreement on the vent-liners. Cecil had to supply Henry with bullets. Mostly the 260grn DeadCenter. And Cecil could continue to sell vent-liners. Has that changed now? I do know cecil did not ask in the beginning.

big6x6 said:

Have you tried them?

Sorry, been away a while>

Yes I tried PR's Ventliners and I test ventliners by the number of shots it takes for a .035 pin guage to pass thru.

Savages vent averages about 60/75 shots to open up this much.

The PR vent (only tested one) took 130 shots.

The RW vent I have in the gun right now has 250+ shots on it and I checked it this morning and it is less than .034 right now.

I changed the last RW vent with 350 shots on it and it was larger than .035.

Yea I have tried them and RWs have longer life, IMO it is because they are harder.

I wore out one of RW'S vent-liners with 5744. It had alot of shot's fired thru it. Over 300 for sure. I think Savage vent-liners are fine for people like me. My last sight in before going hunting will be with a brand new vent-liner. I toss the things so much they get exspensive.

Yes I tried PR's Ventliners and I test ventliners by the number of shots it takes for a .035 pin guage to pass thru.

That is something I HAVE to get is a way to measure that dang hole! Thanks for your comments.. For me it's getting to where I REALLY like to discard the ventliner when I clean the breechplug. That way at least I never say "I wish I would have changed the VENTLINER" at the range! $5.50 a pop is a little high to discard only after 50 shots or so.

big6x6 said:

That is something I HAVE to get is a way to measure that dang hole! Thanks for your comments.. For me it's getting to where I REALLY like to discard the ventliner when I clean the breechplug. That way at least I never say "I wish I would have changed the VENTLINER" at the range! $5.50 a pop is a little high to discard only after 50 shots or so.

I use the chuck end (smooth) of number size drill bits, #66 is .033" and #65 is .035" if that helps any. They cost about $1 at any mill and machine supply store.

I use the chuck end (smooth) of number size drill bits, #66 is .033" and #65 is .035" if that helps any. They cost about $1 at any mill and machine supply store.

Thanks a BUNCH! That's exactly what I'm going to do if you don't mind a copy cat!

Savage Shooter said:
No, I should have stated that this was with your .305" vent.

Let's compromise with .0305". :wink: The shrinking ventliner is still very much in the in prototype stage.

RandyWakeman said:
Savage Shooter said:
No, I should have stated that this was with your .305" vent.

Let's compromise with .0305". :wink: The shrinking ventliner is still very much in the in prototype stage.

Sorry, missed a zero there didn't I.

Latest posts

Back