An old friend comes home

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 24649

Reaction score
Sometimes things you have long forgotten about have a way of coming back around. I got into muzzleloading while living in Nebraska in the mid 90s. Like most mid west states the rifle season was short, only nine days. If you really wanted woods time you needed a muzzleloader, so I bought one. She was a new TC Firehawk in 54 caliber. I had studied on muzzleloading and knew I wanted a 54 and that I wanted to shoot conicals. I bought some TC 425 grain maxi balls and got after it. I had some successes, and always enjoyed my time afield. Even though a modern muzzleloader I still loved the essence and feel of hunting with that one good shot. As often happens life got complicated, a divorce, relocating back to Texas, and somewhere I sold her probably for a song. I would continue to hunt with front stuffers through the years both modern and traditional. I even went the custom flintlock route after meeting a wonderful person CLA artisan Ross Westgate while working in Virginia. I also have an Investarms Hawken in 50 caliber, My Jeremiah Johnson rifle. Yes I have the DVD in my gun case. A few weeks ago I was at my local gun range making sure everything was good to go with my CVA Acura. I had 2 doe tags left, and planned a hunt in the National Forest that weekend. I was the only one there, and then another older gentleman showed up. He too had 2 muzzle loaders to shoot. As we often do we struck up a conversation. He started shooting a TC Omega in 50. After he was done with that he pulled out his second rifle, a TC Firehawk in 54. The nostalgia just ran wild in my veins looking at it. He let me hold it and as I shouldered it I was back in the creek bottoms of SE Nebraska. He said he bought it at a flea market for 100 bucks. Driving home I couldn't shake the Firehawk from my mind. I had bought mine in 1995 and they ceased production in 1996. The next day the 54 was still on my mind. I thought to myself, " look for one but chances are slim you will find one, and anyway you are out of work and couldn't buy one anyway." Well I found one, just one in Shelbyville, Indiana. Here is where things start going my way. It is a stainless TC Firehawk in 54 caliber in very good condition with a clean bore. Now I live in Texas, but work on pipelines as a QC Inspector. I worked in Indiana several times and had been in this store before many years ago. I called and spoke with the owner. His website said he took trades. I offered my CVA optima 50 cal pistol, and he agreed and also included a basic Bushnell 3x9x32 scope with the Firehawk. I couldn'tIMG_20210128_082303.jpgIMG_20210128_082131.jpg believe it. I was going to get a Firehawk. I was as excited as a 6 year old at Christmas! Fast forward a couple days. It is a Tuesday. I am at my late Mother's house she shared with her brother. She passed away 5-18-20. I knew I was going to be there and had the shop owner overnight the gun there. While sitting in the driveway my phone rang. It was an old friend asking if I was working. I replied no, I have been laid off due to Covid since June 20th. He said I have a job for you, and I then spoke with an old supervisor who offered the job. Wow, I couldn't believe it, but the day wasn't done. About 30 minutes later the brown truck pulled up with my prize. I quickly opened it and did an inspection. The gun was in great shape. I then noticed the breech area. I didn't see a nipple for a #11 cap, but a flame thrower nipple upgrade for a 209 cap! I had researched this after trading for the gun and found out they were not available anymore. I would have been fine with the #11 cap , but the nipple and striker upgrade was a bonus. I took the gun home and showed my wife and told her our good fortune about the new job. I took the gun to my study and stripped it down and cleaned it. This I believe is the first step to making it yours. Now, I would have one of those moments in life that stop time and make you realize the world can be a very small place and how the circle of life continues unabated around us. When the gun was broken down to the sum of it's parts, I looked inside the stock and saw a date, the date of manufacture. This Firehawk was made 10-26-1995, the date of my Grandfather and hunting mentors death. I was stunned. Life felt like it had come full circle, and I felt my grandfather's presence. I put the gun back together, and placed it reverently in my gun case in the front row of prominence. I looked at the other guns in my cabinet and knew then that this "old" new gun would always have a place of honor and outlast all the other's. An old friend had truly come home. Thank you and God Bless!

I had a Renegade for several years way back when....1973 or so. Somewhere in there. I sold it. Years later I got the itch for another and bought one from a member here. I shoot the gun very little but enjoys the memories when handling it. I sold a .44 Magnum to a friend, little skinny kid, in 1969. He wanted it for protection on his spring break in Texas. He apparently got drunk with some buddies and was showing the gun off and shot at something but the recoil brought the pistol back and the front sight peeled about a 6 groove in his scalp. Lots of stitches. When he returned from his vacation he brought the gun by and asked if I'd give him what was basically half of what he bought it for so I got my Ruger back along with three boxes of shells, minus one shell. The idiot bought carbine loads. The front sight still had some hair and hide on it so I had to clean that off. Not quite the same as your story tc but as deermanok says, "its funny how life works".

Thanks for sharing.

Just proves we are never too old to learn to appreciate the important things. I just bought a winchester model 94, 30-30. It was made in 1952, the year I was born. This was my first deer hunting rifle, sold many moons ago.
I certainly don't need it, I already have three deer rifles, but need has nothing to do with it. I am determined to take it for a few "walks in the woods" this fall and try and take a buck with it.

Attachments

• 20200928_071453.jpg
    20200928_071453.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 13
Just proves we are never too old to learn to appreciate the important things. I just bought a winchester model 94, 30-30. It was made in 1952, the year I was born. This was my first deer hunting rifle, sold many moons ago.
I certainly don't need it, I already have three deer rifles, but need has nothing to do with it. I am determined to take it for a few "walks in the woods" this fall and try and take a buck with it.

The little Winchester Model 94 .30-30 (Pre 64) That was the Rifle i learned to Deer Hunt with, I killed my 1st Bear at 8 or 9 years old with it, It never failed me, I Filled my Deer Tag with it year after year. At about 15-16 years old I decided i needed a BIGGER Rifle? I gave up on the little 30-30, I sure wish i had it back today

I understand that, I have 2 bolt rifles one for woods ranges and one for long range. They get the job done but without the satisfaction that comes from the old school guns blackpowder and lever action carbines.

Your story just put me in my happy place. Thank you for telling it so well.

Great story! GREAT rifle too! I have a Firehawk as well. Mine is a .50 and I will not part with her for any consideration.
A good rifle becomes a better friend as time passes. Once the memories begin to accumulate, they just don't seem inanimate anymore.

Great story! GREAT rifle too! I have a Firehawk as well. Mine is a .50 and I will not part with her for any consideration.
A good rifle becomes a better friend as time passes. Once the memories begin to accumulate, they just don't seem inanimate anymore.
I feel that way as well, thanks

Great story. Thanks. I have old hand-me-down guns in my collection too, and know the feeling. I could never part with them, even though they no longer get used. It would feel like I was betraying my ancestry.

Great story. Thanks. I have old hand-me-down guns in my collection too, and know the feeling. I could never part with them, even though they no longer get used. It would feel like I was betraying my ancestry.
Amen to that

Awesome little story. Thanks for sharing. Shelbyville is only about 30 min from my home. It sure is a small world. :)

Latest posts

Back