Anniversary Gifts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lighthorseman

Reaction score
Well, after a considerable amount of time I finally unloaded my Mortimer Shotgun (which I only recently bought)...a 1840's dragoon saber, belt and sling as well as a carbine sling...several other small items and finally was able to purchase for my bride a mid-18th century "Poachers gun" and for me a mid to late 18th century officers or gentleman's pistol.
First my wife's new gun.
DSCN3487.jpg

DSCN3489.jpg

Originally designed as a "conceal carry" shotgun for game wardens on the big English estates, it later became popular with city dwelling "gentlemen" who would carry them "broke down" in a box case under their feet on a coach....thus avoiding the extra charge being levied on any baggage carried in the boot or on top the coach. This version is a hooked breech 16ga full choke 26" barrel with walnut stock and Queen Anne round. I'm also giving her a shooting bag I made but never used and a repro 18th century brass flask.
DSCN3491.jpg

DSCN3492.jpg

DSCN3493.jpg

PoachersGuns1%20622.jpg

Clair was exposed to pheasant hunting as a girl in England shooting a "12 bore" and so I'm hoping to get her back into bird hunting at least and hopefully taking the occasional doe with buck shot.

For me I also purchased a officer's/gentleman's pistol also in 16 ga. for my 1758 Sir William Johnson "type" impression. Made with English walnut it also has all the proper proof marks and "London" stamp on the barrel.
DSCN3482.jpg

DSCN3485.jpg

Starting our 17th year of wedded bliss on election day!
Doug%20and%20Clair.png

DSCN3486.jpg

damn gorgeous arms!! I especially can respect that engraving and carving on the pistol. It really just takes it to a next level :Red tup:

Look at those old timey assault rifles with them hollow out stocks! Bet you can't have those in new york these days!

Thanks Jon........Lloyd is an artist in every sense of the word. I bought a pair of German tanned buckskin breeches from him that he completely hand stitched. Lloyd rarely buys anything and makes anything from wood, iron, steel, leather, cloth, horn etc......and he's quite the painter as well. I would be happy to have one tenth his talent. So far I have bought three flintlock long guns form him and this pistol. He has a copy of an original long barreled Leman cap gun for sale for $1500 It is I believe copied from this original, except it has a beautiful natural striping rather than the artificial on this gun. He also replicated the checkering. It is (I believe) as the original in .45 cal. I am sure Connor is familiar with the gun.
Leman-fullstock-w-horse-head-patch-box.jpg

Beautiful thoughts and very nice gifts from the heart....You are blessed...

YMHS
Hilljack

Thanks!.......Clair works at a doctors office....and has to show photos of her flinter to her patients....who, being typical North Idahoans are impressed about guns period, but fascinated in particular with flintlocks............Clair and I have very little in common.......but we've had a wonderful 16 years together. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back