Another Black Diamnod XR sucess

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saturday was the opener of our antlerless muzzleloader season here in Pa. and after an uneventful morning I decided to have my revenge on the local squirrel population. I swapped my Black Diamond for my 20 bore M37 Ithaca and limited out in about 2 hours. After caring for the recently departed tree rats( they didn't get the memo about squirrel opening too) I went back to my morning area and 20 minutes after sitting down , and watching 3 bigger squirrels fight over acorns, I look to my right and here's a nice 100lb doe! The shot she gave me was a very slightly quartering head on. I waited till she put her head down and let it fly. BANG- flop. The 45 cal 250gr XTP( 70gr 3f Swiss black chrono'd 1550 fps) entered alittle right of the spine, broke a rib thoroughly scrambled the lungs but didn't exit and i couldn't find it :( . The range was about 12 yards. Even that close I plainly heard the bullet strike. Sounded like a good thump on a big base drum. I've begun to expect such sounds with a chest hit from an XTP. This is this rifle's 4th kill. All 1 shot at ranges of 12-150 yards. Nothing like a good rifle...

Congratulations on the deer. And squirrels. The Black Diamond is a very overlooked rifle because of the open breech. But its hard to find a better shooting rifle.

cayuga said:
Congratulations on the deer. And squirrels. The Black Diamond is a very overlooked rifle because of the open breech. But its hard to find a better shooting rifle.

+1

Nice going. The PA early season has been good to my freezer since it began!

Back