Another fishing trip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Nephew and i headed out around 130 this afternoon and headed back up to our normal spot. Fishing the first 2 hours was extremely slow, I had caught the first 2 and then after that, it was just dragging, no bites, no nibbles no fish jumping. We took a ride and by the time we got back, some people were in our spot but moved off later on. Around 6pm we called it quits at that place and drove over to the dam area. My nephew started catching them like crazy and after we had caught our limit, we stuck around for another half hour for some catch and release.
DSCN6165.jpg

I painted and cleared this kasmaster lure "originally gold" and i was getting hits like crazy but just kept tugging it a bit to much and they'd throw the hook. The white lure did excellent but needs more "testings". I have to make a new one though because the line on a rod snapped and out she went :cry:
DSCN6158.jpg

DSCN6157.jpg

On a bad note, my nephews new abu garcia 276 turned out to be a turd after 12 casts, the line completely locked up and to make matters worse, the line sits extremely far back into the reel casing to where you cant even replace the line! I emailed them and i laid it on them about this reel and how their fudged up design is BS. They KNOW the line is ALWAYS going to get tangled at some point and yet they do this fudged up design where it looks like i have to completely tear it apart just to replace line?!!

It's always sweet when a trip puts fish in the skillet!

Open-faced spinning reels will give you far less trouble than closed face reels. Something to consider with future purchases.

I spent all day yesterday getting my bass boat ready for spring smallies. Today will be spent on tackle prep and inventory for the season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. FG... are you sure you're not dippin' your lures in snow camo :?: :p :lol!:

Yeah you're right Marty , around here we mainly use the closed face reels for big game fishing.

lol i did look at one and thought about the snow camo. Hmmmm.. Maybe one day?!

Abu Garcia is like most of the companies, they make good stuff and they make crap. Daiwa is the same way. I HATE spin-cast reels; they're always getting line in the gears, etc. I prefer Shimano higher priced spinning reels. All those ball bearings help a lot.

Any ideas at how to restring this thing? LOL, its horrible! I honestly cant even figure out how to get the guts out of it.

FrontierMuzzleloading said:
Any ideas at how to restring this thing? LOL, its horrible! I honestly cant even figure out how to get the guts out of it.
One BIG reason to get a spinning reel. They are easy to maintain and change line. If you fish from the shoreline, spinning reels provide longer casting of small lures.

There must be a way to twist the cover off and take the spool out , don't you have a manual for the reel ?

its a 5 page manual that tells you how to change the reel handle over to the next side :lol:

If it's like a Zebco, grasp the whole housing near the front and unscrew or twist counter-clockwise. That will allow the housing to slide off exposing the internal parts. Then it's just pluck and cut. The housing may be bound up because of the bunched up twisted line inside.

Drummy PMed me a link and i got her all fixed up! Stupid! These instructions on the website were so easy, why the hell couldnt AG put them in their manual?!!

Latest posts

Back