ANOTHER GRRW KIT GUN ASSEMBLED BY GRRW CA.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Another GRRW kit has come to our attention, this one was an early H.E. Leman Trade Rifle kit now assembled by Carl Walker (he sent this one out back in the 70's). We are starting to see old GRRW guns come out of the closets, some never fired.

img7.jpg

This rifle kit was one of the first ones produced by GRRW, purchased because the gentleman wanted to help Doc White (friends) get started with new business. Purchased and put away, then the new owner passed on. His widow, 50 years later decided to have it assembled by Carl, so when she passes it will be given to her son who's now 60 years of age.

We are so fortunate to have someone like you, Buck, with such a long and in-depth involvement with the muzzle loader industry and community. I thoroughly enjoy you writings on our shared interest and learn from every post.
Thanks,
Ron

That's the trouble with growing older, sometimes you remember to much that probably should have been forgotten years ago.  :)  Back in the 60's and early 70's when taking part in this life style many thought you were nuts (several wives have had that thought)...  :shock:  I guess I was want of those "me me" guys that did what I wanted and didn't even think about the spouce or her wants. You always pay for that kind of thinking with the relationship and your bank account. What the ladies didn't understand was guys like myself didn't need them or the funds, we lived off the land.  :p

I didn't get serious about many things until I was in my thirties. My first wife took my daughter and ran off to CA with her friend, now I can't see the kid. Being mad I figured why pay child support when I can't see her. Was drivinig a Plymouth with a 413 motor, decided to go under the radar by changing my address. Now that address read 413 Plymouth Ave. Calary Canada, it took 2 years to find me. And I hadn't changed job or rooming houses, the cops couldn't believe I hadn't moved - checked SS to find me.  :bounce:  

Boy we had fun in those two free years with guns, cars and whatever came down the road.

Thank you Ron for your kind remarks ....  :cheers:

RonC said:
We are so fortunate to have someone like you, Buck, with such a long and in-depth involvement with the muzzle loader industry and community. I thoroughly enjoy you writings on our shared interest and learn from every post.
Thanks,
Ron
I can second this.

I was gonna say... damn... it looks unfired! Kind of a shame the folks back in the 70s never shot them and really learned to enjoy them!

FrontierGander said:
I was gonna say... damn... it looks unfired! Kind of a shame the folks back in the 70s never shot them and really learned to enjoy them!
In Roosevelt and Vernal UT there is an unknown number of GRRW Hawkens, Lemans and Poor Boys either in gun cabinets, hanging on the wall or in a closet, many unfired. Some kits like this one and most assembled firearms according to Carl Walker, Neill Field and Les Bennett. 

Les was a school teacher for 40 years in the area and said when his students found he built GRRW guns part time they would tell about those guns in their families that usually a grandparent had purchased. Many were purchased because they all knew each other or Doc White was their family doctor. Close knit towns.

When we held the 2017 GRRW Rendezvous this year in Roosevelt several of these closet guns came out to be showed off, that was really neat. The owners came to breakfast and stayed most of the day to hang out with old and now new friends, how neat is that. Made me step back, holy cow this was like a family event guys.  :Red tup:

RonC said:
Thanks,
Ron
 Couldn't agree more  :ttups:

RonC said:
Thanks,
Ron
I just changed my signature as I always wanted to be a flyboy like you Ron and Big Al (this is for you two guys, just like Leonardo).

Was drivinig a Plymouth with a 413 motor, decided to go under the radar by changing my address. Now that address read 413 Plymouth Ave. Calary Canada, it took 2 years to find me. And I hadn't changed job or rooming houses, the cops couldn't believe I hadn't moved - checked SS to find me.
Now thats funny. And creative too. Thankfully I have never went through the Big D and am still married to the same woman for 40 years now. The kids are grown and gone. Wish they were still here. They are my life.

My wife used to complain about me buying guns but I never bought unless I had the money and all the bills were paid. Plus she saw me buy a Mak90 AK-47 for $250 and sell it a week later for $750 so now noise about buying guns. Besides its my money. I worked for it.

And that GRRW is gorgeous. I would like to own just one super nice gun like that and I will too. And you can bet I WILL shoot it. No safe queens around here.

Back