Another Lyman Trade Rifle Breech Plug Failure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw that to. I find it extremely hard to believe that Lyman did not contact their retailers and let them know about it. This should be a mandatory recall. They tried pawning it off as just a couple guns and "we want to look into it". Its more than just a couple.

That gun does not have a patent breech. The hole in the breech plug is huge. Someone made a change in breech plug or, less likely, over torqued the plug.

According to the serial numbers provided by Lyman over 3,000 guns were deemed to have defective breech plugs.

BTW: It ain't just the Trade Rifles that were recalled. It's all the Lyman conventional muzzleloaders except the left hand models.

Recall includes ALL black powder rifles and pistols (including Deerstalker, Great Plains, Great Plains Hunter, Trade Rifle, Plains Pistol, Black Powder Kits, and replacement barrels; excluding Percussion Left Hand Great Plains and Left Hand Great Plains Hunter models), regardless of caliber manufactured from 3/1/17 to 12/22/17. Serial numbers in range of A595960-A599023 are subject to the recall . If you have one of these items, contact Lyman Customer Service at [email protected]
It's surprising that someone has not been killed.

FrontierGander said:
Saw that to. I find it extremely hard to believe that Lyman did not contact their retailers and let them know about it. This should be a mandatory recall. 
Man, that's baloney. Would think if you gathered more information on this problem they would be in hot water selling dangerous products that they were aware of.

FrontierGander said:
Saw that to. I find it extremely hard to believe that Lyman did not contact their retailers and let them know about it. This should be a mandatory recall. They tried pawning it off as just a couple guns and "we want to look into it". Its more than just a couple.
I have a lot of contact with Lyman for a variety of things, and I can vouch for the fact that they took this very seriously and contacted all of the customers that they were provided with. I'm willing to bet that the gun in question was sold through a distributor, who did not notify their dealer. Their communication with us about our customers was excellent and they continued to update us as they talked with customers. I'm not saying that every dealer had this same attention, but I can vouch for the fact that there were some serious efforts on their behalf to get these guns back as fast as possible.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Lyman product. They are a quality company and try their best to provide quality products. One can belittle them concerning the recall, but they are taking a huge monetary loss here to protect their consumers. A retailer might be to blame if one sneaks through without going back for the recall, but Lyman has been trying their best to notify everyone of the problem.
Lyman has been a victim of the company that made the defective breechplugs as well as the consumers, and they are bearing the cost of the recall.

Latest posts

Back