Another Weekend with Black Horn 209 - pics added

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michigan law prohibits the use of smokeless powder during muzzle loading season, but permits it during general firearm.

Better reread your michigan hunting rules again. They changed the wording in firearms allowed and specifically state no smokeless in regular season now also. :( :( :(

minst7877 said:
Michigan law prohibits the use of smokeless powder during muzzle loading season, but permits it during general firearm.

Better reread your michigan hunting rules again. They changed the wording in firearms allowed and specifically state no smokeless in regular season now also. :( :( :(

Actually it goes a little further than that. Smokeless is not legal in any Muzzleloader Season Statewide , or during the All Firearm Deer Seasons in the shotgun zone. It is legal to use during the All Firearms Deer Seasons in the rifle zone only, with the exception of during the December Muzzleloader Deer Season.

Of course it can also be used Statewide for any hunting other than deer year-round, with the exception of during the December Muzzleloading Seasons. Smokeless can be used to hunt Coyote's, woodchucks, any varmints, even squirrels if you wanted to, but not limited to just those species. I have been round and round with the DNR Law Division on this topic for about 5 years now.

Muzzleloading Deer Seasons
During the December muzzleloading seasons, muzzleloading deer hunters can carry afield and use only a muzzleloading rifle, a muzzleloading shotgun, or a black powder handgun loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Rifle Zone
In the rifle zone, deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, bows and arrows, shotguns and muzzleloading firearms including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt deer in the rifle zone with any caliber of firearm except a .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun). Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season. During the firearm deer seasons, a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow and firearm.
Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Shotgun Zone
In the shotgun zone, all hunters afield from November 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a bow and arrow. Crossbows are legal to use by a person 12 years of age or older during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season. Legal firearms are as follows:

A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.

A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.

A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons above for restrictions during this season. From Nov. 15-30, .22 caliber or smaller rimfire rifles and handguns may be used to kill raccoon while hunting raccoons with dogs between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

House Bill 5445 is dead in the water, since April 2007 anyways. :roll:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ncjesp ... 55fpuwhm45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2007-HB-4554&queryid=21548598

Thankfully we now have BH209 :)
I'm sure it can fill most of the gaps for the smokeless guys, and especially in the 45cal rifles.

I can get 2450fps with 200g Shockwaves and 130g of BH209 8)

Sorry to hijack. Considering this .45, does a manufacturer make a .375/.45 sabot? Speer makes .375 Semi Spitzer SP weighing 235 grains, Hot Cor construction and has a BC of .317- I think this would be the berries for a .45 MZ bullet. It was made for the .375 Winchester and with Blackhorn I believe the velocity would be in the same ballpark.

Nope, not to my knowledge.

But you might get the 45/357 sabot and .358 rifle bullets to work...in one of the old 1:20 twist 45's.

I think I remember Nimrod trying that out once with a early Black Diamond 45cal...? Can't remember how it turned out...Nimrod??

Re: another weekend.

Lane, the 45 BD expirament did not go as planned. They're great rifles, but I had ignition issues with BH.

As for the MI laws, smokeless, BH, and all the rest.... TOTAL BS! White Hots will even further blur the line.

Why would I expect our states laws to be progressive when our deer management is ruled by licencese sales??? We run an early doe season that starts in mid Sept and a doe only that ends on Jan 1. Add it up, that's nearly five months out of the year that you can shoot a doe in MI. WHY? Bc there's too damn many of them.... Then you're going to restricth the propellent that goes down the bore of a muzzleloader????

I digress.....

Back to my weekend.....

I didn't have my camera with me, but will post some pics when I get back to the farm on Fri.

Our MLer season is now over. Sat was a fitting end.

I got out of work at 11:30pm Fri night, loaded up the two kids (against their mother's wishes) and drove the 45mins to the family farm. Now run by my brother.

The only thing that got me out of bed on Sat morning was knowing that my brother was picking me up at 0615 to take me to a neighboring farm that still had corn standing. The 0545 alarm flat out hurt after four hours of sleep....

Sat morning found me hoisting myself into a tree stand that I had only hunted twice earlier this year. The temp was 7 deg actuall with a slight NE wind at 3-5 mph.

My 45 was loaded with a 120gr charge of BH209 from the previous weekend (a weekend in which it claimed the lives of 3 WTs). The rifle had been stored, charged, and unprimed in the barn for the week.

I sat from 0630-1000 without seeing anything more than a few squirrels. My feet got cold and I decided to go into the corn after them... By 1000, the temp was nearly 18 and the lack of wind seemed down right balmy...

I soon cut a fresh track, stepped off two rows, and began to follow. After about half an hour, I came upon a group of does. The weeks of heavy snow have things pretty knocked down. The first doe stood about 50-60 yards dirctly in front of me - looking straight at "me." All I could see was her head/neck. She never saw me.

I put the rifle on the Pole Cat bipod, cranked up the scope to 6x and still could only see her hed neck. Knowing that this load is surgical, I put the crosshairs right on the base of the neck and touched her off.

I heard a dozen or so other deer take off running. The doe with the cross hais on her neck was DRT. Never twitched. Bullet performance was less than optimal. Baseball size entrance wound with no real exit.

I reloaded and proceeded through the corn.

A short 50 yards later I had a respectable buck bounding through the corn towards me. Probably startled by the shot. He stopped up 50-60 yards from me across the rows. I could only see his head/neck. We don't see many bucks outside of their ears, so my heart was racing...

Put the 45 back on the bipod and placed the crosshairs again on the neck, just below the head. DRT.

Both shots were examples of complete bullet failures and shot selection that one shouldn't take... Do as I say, not as I do....

The buck was a nice 8 pnt with a 14 inch spread. We haven't processed him yet, so I don't know a weight, but he's 180 lbs if he's a pound. I will post actuall weight and some pics when I get back to the farm with my camera.

Moral of the story... BH209 goes bang in single digits. 200 gr SST is too frangible for stucture shots.

Congratulations!

Two shots and 2 dead deer, EXCELLENT 8) Bullets might have failed your expectations, but that's gonna be some good eating, and jerky making :wink:

Great way to finish up, what a blessing! Who needs a tougher bullet, when you can put'em in the eye balls 8)

You Da Man!

Will be back to the farm this weekend to process them. Will take a cpl pics then.

He's not huge, just a nice solid 2.5 yo 8 pnt.

nimrodrx

where in mid mich do you hunt

we hunt a 120 acre farm in elsie (just south of the rifle border)

it was a good year my uncle and i each shot deer with our Omega

mine was 18 yards his was 95 then it came to 40 so he ended it

love to use the ML just wish i had more time this year

I'm not sure why the pics aren't opening without clicking on them... Any of you puter gurus help me out?

I'm far from a computer guru but here here ya go. Nice deer, looks like lots of good venison. :D

MLBuck.jpg

MLBuck_doe.jpg

Latest posts

Back