Ante-chamber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
Ante-chamber?

So I looked at an older Lyman GPR today.
How deep is the ante-chamber.
A rod stopped 2.5 - 3" in front of where the barrel meets the breech plug

Re: Ante-chamber?

The bolster typically threads in about an inch. Sounds to me like there is a load in it. 
3183_26_38-lyman-sight-parts.jpg

Do you have a tip on the ramrod? If so, try just the rod.

There is surely something in there.  Hopefully it's not smokeless - I would get it out without attempting to shoot it.

OldMtnMan said:
Do you have a tip on the ramrod? If so, try just the rod.
I tried a car radio antenna, still same thing.
Took out the nipple and I can blow air through the barrel.
Tried a Bullet puller and it will not screw into anything.
Looking down the barrel all is shiny even the bottom looks shiny.

In this pic, the rod stops at the letter "T" in the word Great.

27438217898_32bb6b311a_z.jpg

Maybe someone tried to pull the load and ended up with a hole through the ball?  I think you need to find someone with a bore scope and see what is really happening.

Hylander, out of curiosity I checked my .54 investarm barrel to see where the ramrod stops and found it quite interesting:

1. Using a ramrod "with a cleaning jag", the rod stops about 5/8" ahead of the drum

2. Using a small caliber rifle ramrod with a nylon cleaning tip (the kind you thread the cleaning patch through) the rod goes all the way to the nipple. 

xyGsmp.jpg

You need to look at it with a bore scope or pull the breech plug.

Thanks guys,
I figured there is something in there.

Smokin' Joe:
Thanks for the pic, helps to confirm there is an issue.

I am going to see if the person will let me bring it home so my friend can bore scope it.

Brought it home today. 
Took about 1.5 hours to get the bore obstruction out and clean it up.
Look what I blew out of the bore with the air compressor, it is a hard piece of plastic covered in a stinky Tar like goo. 

Startled me when it blew out and hit the garage door  :affraid:
There was a crud ring of this Tar stuff and some rust, had to use a good bristle brush with bore cleaner and then Kroil.
Looks pretty good now, some very light rust in the grooves.
Will have to wait till Monday to fire it.

40550151685_f07158df19_z.jpg

That looks to me like a barrel inspection mirror.  I have one like it and it has a small mirror attached to one end.  You slide it down the barrel and then use a small flashlight to shine down the barrel.  The mirror reflects the light so you can see the the bore.  If this was sent down the barrel from the vertical position, I can see it getting stuck in the "Ante-chamber".  I would think that a sufficient blast of compressed air would have dislodged it, but if someone forgot it was down there, they could have jammed it in real good when trying to load the gun.  Just my thoughts.

I bought an "Inspection Scope" from Harbor Freight Tools to use for just these sort of problems. It cost about $69 and will fit a bore down to .45 cal and maybe a .40 cal. It permits me to see if there is an obstruction and whether there is debris or rust in the barrel. t is one of the best tools I have.
Ron

It just re-enforces how important, from a safety aspect, to absolutely fully inspect used muzzleloaders.  I've heard numerous times of projectiles stuck in used muzzy barrels.  Good lesson here.

Thanks for sharing!!

Can't see this being for inspection as there was nothing on it to reflect light.
Also it was covered in a black tar goo, also just small enough to fit in barrel, way to big to enter ante-chamber. But it is out now. Took a lot of cleaning to get the Goo out, which had formed a crud ring 
about 2" in front of the Ante-chamber

Kind of looks like someone tried to blow it out by sprinkling a little powder underneath the nipple and only managed to blow it down the barrel a little bit and melting the end. Why don't you try to burn the end of it and see if you don't get more melted black gunk. Just my poorly educated guess.

That sounds like something my 4 yo grandson would do ... just shove something in the barrel to be a pain.

I've got the best bore light except for a proctoscope. A fella from Wisc. asked me to send him six or eight .25 auto empty cases. A few weeks after I did, he sent me two back that he had used for the housing of a miniature bore light. 
They have a very small bulb screwed into one end and 2-3 of the smallest coin batteries made. Just screw in the bulb until it make an electrical contact and slide it down the barrel. 
It will fit in a .30 caliber or larger. It may work in a 7mm but I don't want to get it stuck like that gizmo above.

I have heard a fishing bobber light makes a good bore light. But I haven't tried on yet. Next time I go to Academy I will see if they see them and if they do I will buy one and report how well they work.

Well I looked on Academy's website and they didn't have what I wanted. But I found these on ebay and ordered two sets.

Product number 172983907307. I am not allowed to post a link yet.

ebay.com/   itm/  172983907307   You will have to add the www/ and put it all together.

burlesontom said:
I have heard a fishing bobber light makes a good bore light. But I haven't tried on yet. 
 I have tried them in the green and red light versions and they are a poor excuse for a bore light IMO.

Patocazador I ordered two sets of the ones i sorta linked to. If they don't work I am out less than 6 bux. It looks like you may be able to remove the green cover and use white light. Plus they look like they will go down a small bore size barrel. So we'll see.

Latest posts

Back