Any .260 Rem. Shooters?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morpheus

Reaction score
My daughter used a .260 to take a muley and pronghorn. She shoots a Remington Mountain Rifle. Any .260 fans out there?

PA240025.jpg

Buck she took with a TSX.

Pronghunt010.jpg

Pronghorn with 100 gr. HSP

Pronghunt021.jpg

Entrance wound with the HSP

My 9 yr old niece uses a .260. My brother in law said it has very low recoil. From what I hear it is a great whitetail rifle. I will have to try it out someday. I have a 6.8 Rem SPC barrel for my Pro Hunter that my 9yr old son uses.

Congrats to your daughter on those fine looking harvests :cheers:. It's great to see when the sport of hunting is not just for the male gender.

I especially like the pronghorn trophy! With all that wide open space in the background, it doesn't look like there are many bushes to hide behind.(I only see ONE :!: :lol: ). Must be quite the long range shot challenge hunting game in the open range.

p.s. I'll be looking for a pic sometime in the future of your first harvest with that new smokegun you now have. If you can't harvest anything with it then let your daughter show you how it's done :)

I would gladly let her show me. I get more excited when the kids are successful. Her brother has the biggest buck in the house! He doesn't have a pronghorn though. I like that kind of sibling rivalry. They sure grow up fast. Those pics are 4 years old. Instead of saving up for hunts, I will be saving for college for her.

Back on topic... I "borrowed" her gun one day and shot a buck at 230 yards with the .260 I watched through the scope as he did a back flip and fell over dead. That was with a 100 gr. Hornady SP. That caliber does not get enough credit and Remington did a poor marketing job.

Pronghorn hunting is a hoot. I have a tag in UT and AZ for them this year. Hopefully pics to follow.

Love the .260! I have 3, 2 Ruger MK's and an E.A. Brown barrel for my Pro Hunter. Just got my Berger 140gr's & H4831sc + some new brass to start reloading for it. They all shoot 1" or better with factory ammo, so they should tighten up a bit with reloads. Looking forward to hunting with them this fall.

I have a HB Encore with Leupold with 50mm objective, I shoot like it gps guided, wouldn't sell it for the /world.  It is an excellent long range caliber, rivaling the .308.  Nice shooting keep the .260.

Since they already had the 7-08, I don't know why Carmichael lobbied Remington and 'championed' the .260 so much. It's a fine cartridge but not an improvement over the 7-08 in my book.

Your daughter got cheated on the right antler of that muley .. fine animals.

Im just 6.5 fan no matter what it is I have several of them 6.5-06,6.5x55, 264,6.5mag all shoot and all will kill dead used in there right place and bullet. i gave my son a ruger 6.5x55 and he has killed a nice 3x3 buck and a cow elk. I do not have a 260 but have pondered it.

I had a Rem 700LSS Mountain rifle topped with a Zeiss Conquest. Incredible gun....so accurate with CorBon / Barnes TSX & no recoil! My Ruger American 243 has more recoil!! Unfortunately, I had to sell it a few years back due to financial issues. I have regretted it ever since. I did however get a 7-08 barrel for my Apex & from what I have read, recoil & ballistics are almost identical.

Yep, the .260 Rem is a great round.  It is ballistically superior to the .308 for long range work.  I have a pair of Savage guns in .260 Rem.  One is a 110 with a Criterion barrel that shoots the 140 gr Berger VLD into MOA groups at 1000 yards.  The other is a Super Striker bolt handgun in .260 Rem.  It has a 16" barrel and shoots the 95 gr V-Max well.  I have taken ground hogs out to 350 yards with that gun. 

I am planning to build a AR308 chambered in .260 Rem.  I am gathering the parts now.

All the 6.5 -6.6 cal bullets seems to be extremely accurate , must be because they are so long for their weight.

I remember everyone trading in their .264 mags about 35 years ago because of "issues". I think most of the issues were due to Winchester's crappy bullets and cartridges.

"I think most of the issues were due to Winchester's crappy bullets and cartridges."

i've had two .264 Winchesters, a Remington 700 and and pre-64 Winchester model 70. The biggest issue was the very hot factory loads sold at the time: They were famous barrel burners. Knew a guy who trashed the barrel of his model 700 .264 in one shooting session.

Latest posts

Back