Any Good Deals on Rangefinders that work well out to 400YD?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
Okay Guys I am on a budget but would like to get a decent Rangefinder that works out to 400 yards for Muzzleloader Hunting. Where might someone find the best deal and what would be a good durable brand and model...

Been looking for the Bushnell and Nikon but not sure what is better...

Which one will work the Best, Non Reflective to 200 yards and has a read out you can see the best... If there is such a thing... Budget of 250.00 including S&H...

Any suggestions I seen them but never used one and in a store is not the same as out in the Field...

Should I be concern with it being Waterproof or not???

Thanks in Advance to any replies...

Mike/LFM

Hey LFM,

Here I go again, but you asked....

A little more money but well worth the extra change, and a better rangefinder than the more expensive brands.
I did my home work before I bought mine.

Check out the Bushnell Elite 1500...$399 Cabelas

1. 7 power X 26mm! Better light transmission than most.
2. Waterproof
3. Scan mode
4. brush mode...pick up the farthest image through trees 8)
5. bullseye mode...picks up the nearest image..is that the deer at 200yards or the timberline behind him?

Try this at the store, try to range something in the store by looking THROUGH a gun rack full of barrels! You will find the Elite can do it and the others can't. Seriously!!! It works the same through tree branches! Most of my range work is from trees or through the timber. Trust me you will hate your rangefinder if it can't see through trees. Most just get confused.
This is the most important thing a rangefinder needs to do. IMO In my state.

6. scan mode for constant ranging of a moving target.
7. 9 volt battery operation! Others use EXPENSIVE batteries.
8. adjustable diopter
9. Long eye relief
10. Silent push buttons that don't click and spook deer.
11. Available this year in camo
12. fully Multicoated optics
13. Rain Guard to prevent fogging and allow use in wet weather.
14. lighted reticle
15. Ranges to 750 yards. On refective surface I ranged 1300 yards.
16. Accurate to +- 1 yd.

The Downside:
The screen light is of no use.
Not really pocket size but definately fanny pack friendly.

Seriously....check them all out and compare. They are not all created equal. If I spend the money I want it to work every time under every condition. Period

Now all I have to do is save that extra $$$ and hope I can before hunting season gets here for that one, looks nice has a lot of features with it... With the price of gas it might not be in my budget till 2007 especially all the driving I do to get to where I hunt...

Thanks it looks like something I could use if I only had the additional money to buy one... I will see what my cash flow is in late September and see if I can afford one...

Thanks for that information...

How easy is it to see the distance numbers in bright sunlight with this one... Hard to test this inside of stores...

Mike / LFM

LFM said:
How easy is it to see the distance numbers in bright sunlight with this one... Hard to test this inside of stores...

Mike / LFM

Real easy.....

I actually bought mine online for $339....can't remember where though...do a Froogle search. If I think of it I'll pm you.

Re: Any Good Deals on Rangefinders that work well out to 400

LFM said:
Okay Guys I am on a budget but would like to get a decent Rangefinder that works out to 400 yards for Muzzleloader Hunting. Where might someone find the best deal and what would be a good durable brand and model...

Here's what I have and it's served the purpose just fine for me. I actually paid more for mine when I bought it a couple years ago. It will reliably range out past 400 yds. with no problem for me. I'm sure there are better units out there, but this one will get the job done for what you are asking it to do for a whole lot less $$$.

http://natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BH201000&src=ba282

Forget the Bushnells and buy a Nikon Monarch 800 !! I ranged an antelope with one at 657 yards. They also have a nice backlight feature for viewing at twilight or early morning. You can't go wrong with a Nikon.

I got the 800 about a month ago. What can I say this thing is awsome.

I bought the Nikon Buckmaster Laser 600 just before deer season this year. Paid $279 at the local Gander Mountain. I like the size (will easily fit in a shirt pocket). It had very good optics and is simple to use. I had never used one before I looked at this and others in the store. The image is clear and I especially like the fact that it has adjustable focus. Ranged large objects like barns and vehicles over 600 yards and a deer out to 170 or so. It has 6x magnification and a 20mm objective. The only thing it doesn't have is a "Rain" mode. On a foggy morning it would either not range at all or give a bogus reading. I also wanted to stay below $300 and for my use I couldn't be happier.

I took Spitpatch's advice on this one and so far I absolutely love my Elite 1500!! (Thanks Spit!). I found a "like new" used one for $250 incl shipping to Canada. I think this LRF is "it" for the money.

Latest posts

Back