Any of You Going Out in This Cold/Seeing Anything??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Im back. The orphan showed up at 5:15. Too little to shoot. The mommy showed up at 5:35. 3 minutes after legal. Pretty tempting anyway but was in the direction of a house. Not worth it to me so she lives for another day. So I saw two.
Thanks for letting us know. One more day of collecting dust in the house for me and then I'm back out. Should be a full week of hunting. Anything interesting occurs I'll let you all know.

Hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon. Looks like wind will be up this week and the rain later in the week. Will give it a go as weather allows.

Went out yesterday morning, couldn’t keep my feet warm but managed to hunt 4 hours. It was 5 degrees with a wind chill of -11
Saw 5 deer and missed a chance at an 8 pointer that admittedly needs another year or two to mature.
Still need a doe for the freezer and will hope to get one later in the week when I go back out.
Happy to get to hunt Wednesday afternoon through Saturday morning.
Wife will be with me at the cabin along with a couple of my good buddies.

Hunting with my CVA Accura V2 with a Leupold Freedom 3 X 9, 100 grains of BH, Winchester primers and Harvester/Hornady 300 grain XTP’s

Good luck everyone!

Here in west-central Montana we just finished a week of below zero, preceded by a week of teens and single digits. Temps were as low as minus 38 for two of our mornings. Yesterday, though, a Chinook blew in, so it's 46 degrees and raining this morning. Heckuva a mess - all surfaces are so cold that the rain is freezing into a coating of glare ice.

I hope to get out and shoot my Renegade tomorrow afternoon. MT has late elk hunts (anterless only, and only on BLM, State, or private land - these are damage and population control hunts) that run from 28 November thru 15 February. Yesterday I did a little scouting in the form of a Christmas Eve ride with my wife, didn't see any elk, but TONS of deer and antelope. I hope to get out for a least a few days if I can find a place to hunt. Hopefully I can locate a rancher who's having problems with elk raiding his haystacks, and will be happy to have a hunter shoot one for the freezer.

The temperature is about 42 here now.
Supposed to get a little warmer every day this week. They said 68 on Thursday afternoon.
Hopefully, I'll get out at least a couple days coming up and get at least one deer this year.

Went out yesterday morning, couldn’t keep my feet warm but managed to hunt 4 hours. It was 5 degrees with a wind chill of -11
Saw 5 deer and missed a chance at an 8 pointer that admittedly needs another year or two to mature.
Still need a doe for the freezer and will hope to get one later in the week when I go back out.
Happy to get to hunt Wednesday afternoon through Saturday morning.
Wife will be with me at the cabin along with a couple of my good buddies.

Hunting with my CVA Accura V2 with a Leupold Freedom 3 X 9, 100 grains of BH, Winchester primers and Harvester/Hornady 300 grain XTP’s

Good luck everyone!
You earned double rewards points for those 4 hours.

My cousin lives for flintlock season in PA- SE part of the state, right on the MD border-Franklin County. I'm headed out myself here in E IA, about 15 degrees with just a bit of wind out of the NE. Looks like the deep freeze is over, supposed to be in the 40's here later in the week. I'm hoping the deer got comfortable coming into the food plots during the day while that intense cold was going on. I will find out next weekend when cwd season begins in the county I hunt in IL.

Last edited:
My cousin lives for flintlock season in PA- SE part of the state, right on the MD border-Franklin County. I'm headed out myself here in E IA, about 15 degrees with just a bit of wind out of the NE. Looks like the deep freeze is over, supposed to be in the 40's here later in the week. I'm hoping the deer got comfortable coming into the food plots during the day while that intense cold was going on. I will find out next weekend when cwd season begins in the county I hunt in IL.
PA's late flintlock is a great time to get. You essentially have the woods to yourself.

We drove home well after sunset from a Christmas dinner that was 50 miles away yesterday. There was some light snow falling with a moderate wind, and about a 4-degree temperature. We could see into the fields fairly well and spot deer out and about. I think Minnesota's over-all harvest numbers are down this year and the number of deer we saw last night would be a reflection of that. Just amazing in some places to see maybe fifty deer at a time.

Our archery season is all that remains of the regular seasons but I think there's another CWD hunt yet in January. It seems the harder the state tries to get rid of deer, the more the deer prevail. I think new-hunter recruitment is suffering while at the same time older hunters are leaving the woods. Personally, I feel that all of the CWD toxin that the state spews, more "newer" hunters are just leery of taking a deer and more of the seasoned hunters who rely on processors are put out by the restrictions and fears that have closed many of them down with regards to deer processing.

Deer licenses here are expensive at $35.00 for the primary tag [buck or doe, one buck limit] and $19.00 for management or intensive harvest tags [antlerless only]. Muzzleloader primary tags and antlerless are the same pricing as the regular season tags. Yet the state hands out the CWD tags [either sex] for about $2.00 or, in some instances, even free. I think if the state wants to see better hunter numbers, they should find some equilibrium between the regular license costs and those for CWD hunts so that tag pricing isn't keeping numbers down on the seasoned hunter end... just make the cost fairer for people. It just seems like Minnesota tries harder to chase good hunters away than to keep them.

CWD is a result of captive deer/elk herds. real pity. Its why regulations are needed.
Deer are active on my plots and browsing in the wooded areas here on the farm.
Going to hunt some other areas i frequent....

Last edited:
I was out last night for the holiday/doe hunting and saw a few but nothing close enough. The windchill was about -20 and tomorrow it will be much warmer. We have a lot of deer moving and I really want to get one with the new smokeless.

Went out and shot my .50 Renegade a bit this afternoon. Deer and elk seasons around my Montana home are closed, but it was fun to go outside and shoot. After a week of highs in the teens and lows around zero - followed by a week of lows down to minus 38 and highs around minus 15 - we've had a couple days of highs in the PLUS 40s. Sure felt good to be out shooting in shirt sleves with bare hands!

late season opens on 26 dec. i will be out, its 10 deg right now, i think i will go in the thick brush, to blinds i got ,
My late season opens the 26th too in Sullivan co NY 3 degrees this morning and 8 tomorrow morning .Me and the Renegade (54) will be getting chilled out for sure . 7 today but to much stuff in the way but I'm gonna kill something in the morning ! /Ed

Back