Anybody ever had a 1/4"/click scope move POI 1/2"/

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Man

Reaction score
I have a good scope made by a reputable manufacturer (not an entry level Bushnell/Tasco type, nor one that cost more than the gun it's on) that has click W/E that is labeled as 1/4" of movement at 100 yards per click.

I recently adjusted the appropriate number of clicks to move my groups (they are near MOA) over 1.25" (5 clicks) and up 2.0" (8 clicks). I turned the knobs the 6 clicks right, and 1 click back to the left, then 9 clicks up, and 1 click back down. Lo and behold (after one shot to make sure reticle was settled), the next few 1 to 1.5 MOA groups were 4" up and 2.5" right of previous POI.

Next, I adjusted down 3 clicks, then up 1, and left 5 clicks, then right 1, and (after one shot to make sure reticle was settled) was exactly where I intended to be the first time.

I was not shooting at 200 yards. The range is marked, but I paced it off just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.

P.S. The scope does hold its zero just fine, so I don't think a loose/broken reticle is causing this.

Could be a mistake at the factory. I've had a few 1/2 MOA scopes before but I knew they were 1/2 MOA. :?

Coincidentaly,sunday I put a new Bushnell 3200 Elite 3X9X50 on a friends rifle. Boresighted and proceeded to shoot. First group ( just over an inch at 100 yards) was about 8 inches high and 8 inches right. Adjusted scope 32 clicks down and 32 clicks left. Next group was low and left, barely on large cardboard target backing but another group around 1 inch. I was beginning to get a bit concerned but recalled other scopes in the past that moved twice the noted distance when adjusted. Adjusted scope as though it were 1/2 minute clicks instead of 1/4 minute. After two more groups and tweeking scope, point of impact was right where we wanted...dead on at 100 yards.

I own several 3200 Elites and had never had this occur with them. To me it is a bit irratating but not an indication of a defective scope.

I own several 3200 Elites and had never had this occur with them. To me it is a bit irratating but not an indication of a defective scope.

While I agree it is not the end of the world...

How can this not be considered a defective scope?

For all the time and trouble that goes into purchasing a scope, mounting a scope, going to the range, then testing a scope, I firmly believe that you are taking close to a 50$ hit just to find out that you have a scope that at very least "does not work as advertised", and in my mind is "defective".

That is exactly why I stick to specific manufacturers that I know have a very low occurence of "problems". For me it is cheaper to pay a little extra and have a scope I know I can trust the first time around instead of having to worry about these kinds of issues with "value" priced scopes.

While no scope is 100% free of issues, I have never heard of this type of problem with a scopes such as the VX-II, VX-III, or Conquest. (Let me make it clear I am not saying it never occurs with these scopes, only that the chances of it occuring are extremely low.)

I have a good scope made by a reputable manufacturer

I like the way you put that! 8) Now..no bias is POSSIBLE!

Anybody ever had a 1/4"/click scope move POI 1/2"?

Yes I have. Most have been sub-$100 scopes though although there is one reputable brand that seems to do this more than others. Probably as Patrick said, a mistake at the factory as mine were. I've also had two scopes with two "right" adjustments instead of one "right" and one "up" adjustment. Same scope brand BTW. I've also had turret covers with the wrong "MOA" number on them.

big6x6 said:

I like the way you put that! 8) Now..no bias is POSSIBLE! ...

I must confess--I am not sure whether you mean that genuinely or tongue-in-cheek. My reason for posting it was just to say that I have liked the scope, had the brand recommended by many, found it reliable in my use of it, and that it was not a "Walmart special" (not a Rifleman/Tasco/Simmons Redfield/Bushnell Sportsman or Banner grade scope). In other words, I wouldn't have been surprised if I paid $50 or $100 dollars for a scope and found an issue like this. I am surprised to have shelled out few times that amount for a scope with a Lifetime Warranty that comes reasonably well recommended and find such a discrepancy.

I still trust the scope. I am debating whether to send it in to the factory or not. Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of taking it off, sending it in, waiting without the scope, remounting, and resighting it in AND then having a period of uncertainty about the new/remanufactured scope until I've put enough rounds through it to gain trust that that particular one is good and solid. I don't do enough long-range shooting that I would adjust elevation or windage for a long shot.

This is an "informational" site...while we can all guess who the manufacturer is, I think it would be better not to speculate.

I know, I for one would prefer if you could tell us who the manufacturer is so we can know for future reference.

JC

Mountain Man said:
big6x6 said:

I must confess--I am not sure whether you mean that genuinely or tongue-in-cheek.

I think he means that genuinely. If you'd mentioned a brand name all those who like em would have jumped to their defense and all those who disliked them would have added their negative coments.

If you'd mentioned a brand name all those who like em would have jumped to their defense and all those who disliked them would have added their negative coments.

Pat,

We all know that is going happen...whether he mentions the brand or not.
I already have two manufacturers in mind who I believe it is...why should they both get black eyes...lets call a spade a spade here...

JC

Patrick White said:
Mountain Man said:
big6x6 said:

I must confess--I am not sure whether you mean that genuinely or tongue-in-cheek.

I think he means that genuinely. If you'd mentioned a brand name all those who like em would have jumped to their defense and all those who disliked them would have added their negative coments.

PRECISELY! 8)

jcchartboy said:
If you'd mentioned a brand name all those who like em would have jumped to their defense and all those who disliked them would have added their negative coments.

Pat,

We all know that is going happen...whether he mentions the brand or not.
I already have two manufacturers in mind who I believe it is...why should they both get black eyes...lets call a spade a spade here...

JC

This is why I hate this brand name garbage. You've already got preconcieved notions of what it could be.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of taking it off, sending it in, waiting without the scope, remounting, and resighting it in AND then having a period of uncertainty about the new/remanufactured scope until I've put enough rounds through it to gain trust that that particular one is good and solid

MM, at the least that's the great thing about a lifetime warranty. You don't have to get in a big hurry about sending it back. If you trust the scope, go ahead and use it (like you said, you're not likely to change it in the field for a long shot) and send it back at a time when you can be without it.

This is why I hate this brand name garbage. You've already got preconcieved notions of what it could be.

Of course I do, quality generally speaks for itself. It is the same few scope manufacturers that are named time and again when these types of problems are mentioned. Now in this case...I also have the added knowledge of knowing that there are not too many scopes that a) he would not have just named in the first place, and b) he has not ruled out in this post. (In fact the point I was trying to make earlier is that by not posting the manufacturers name it has actually more put more focus on the "brand name garbage".)

Actually the reality is, I am almost 99% certain I could tell you the manufacturer and the model type that he is speaking about.

However, I will not jump to any conclusions based on information I think I might know.

Finally, we will never know how common these types of occurrences are with any specific type of scope unless members on boards like this are truthful about their experiences with a specific product regardless of who the manufacturers are. :wink:

JC

jcchartboy said:
In fact the point I was trying to make earlier is that by not posting the manufacturers name it has actually more put more focus on the "brand name garbage".

Actually I think he's getting exactly what he wants and not "oh you have a defective so and so, get rid of it and buy a Leupold".

Man, I inadvertently start two firestorms in one day--don't anybody step too close, you might get struck by lightning! :lol:

I wasn't trying to be coy or obscure--just trying to ask about the problem, not point fingers ast any particular manufacturer.

It's a Burris FullField II 3-9x40.

It's a Burris FullField II 3-9x40.

I knew the brand before you even told us! :shock: No joke! That's the same brand I had the above problems with as well. Overall they ARE good scopes but they do seem to have more quality control issues from time to time.

Actually the reason I knew which scope it was is very simple...I have only ever heard him discuss one scope in this forum...a Burris FullField II 3-9x40. :mrgreen:

That's dissapointing. I have one that is 1/4 MOA clicks and it happens to be my best scope. This is the first time I've ever heard of this with Burris scopes. If it were me I'd send it back and have them make it right.

Back