Anyone heard of CARLISLE?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLBSparks

Reaction score
There is a flinter .58 on Gunbroker that says "CARLISLE" around the muzzle. I am not familiar with a CARLISLE brand of barrels but it looks too well done to be done at home. I'd appreciate any info.
Gunbroker <a href='/tags/547310537' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #547310537'>#547310537</a>.

-Joe

Joe, IDK anything about this rifle. 

But, the best work that I have seen comes from home shops. 
Even the 'big' ones left in the States are more one man outfits. 
I am talking about BP rifles.

"But, the best work that I have seen comes from home shops."

And the worst work also comes from home shops.

The workmanship looks fine. I meant the lettering around the muzzle looked too good to be home-made. Looks like maybe an L&R Late English lock and a Bucks Co. patchbox. Maybe a N. Carolina style buttplate. Mismatched, but less expensive than collecting the components and building it yourself.

-Joe

patocazador said:
"But, the best work that I have seen comes from home shops."

And the worst work also comes from home shops.
I agree! Do not let me build your rifle. :joker:

I looked at that muzzleloader the other day and seen Carlisle on the end of the barrel.  It got my curiosity so I tried to google it but came up with nothing.  From the pictures the rifle does look very well done.  My one concern was it has a 43" Octagon barrel. If it is a straight barrel vs a swamped barrel it might be a tad muzzle heavy.  However it is a nice looking rifle.

There is a Carlisle, TN and one in PA. Both states have a history of muzzleloader building.
Ron

I've emailed the seller twice with questions but he hasn't responded.
Carlisle, TN is only 40mi or so from me. I pass thru it on the way to LBL.

-Joe

The sale ended Friday with no response from the seller. He must have not  really wanted to sell it as much as I wanted to buy it.

-Joe

bronko22000 said:
you should have bought it anyway if you liked it.
I believe that one should never buy a "pig in a poke." This is especially true with muzzies and the condition of their bores.

I got stung a couple of times and wasn't very happy. :no:

patocazador said:
bronko22000 said:
I believe that one should never buy a "pig in a poke." This is especially true with muzzies and the condition of their bores.

I agree. I have been stung once. Twice shy. 

A rule in my family is never buy a gun you can't lay your hands on...

I have been naughty lately and broken that rule.

It is harder to follow that rule with internet. I make exceptions case 
by case now. I tend to trust things on this site much more. It is always 
a risk, however. I never bet more than I can afford to lose... like Vegas.

patocazador said:
bronko22000 said:

Amen on the muzzies. I hadnt been stung until the search for muzzies started about 6 months ago. My want for TC because of the past and being familiar with them just drove away the common sense part. I took a couple people at there word of good condition meant the bore was rust and pit free. Found out the hard way and the only thing that took some of the sting out of it was the rebores by Bob Hoyt. Still ended up costing me more. Al

Yeah, I know. I traded for one about a year ago that "It shoots good" really meant that it tore cleaning patches to shreds. I've got the bore polished shiny, but I haven't shot it enough to say it's OK. If it were not for a "patched" scope mount hole I'd call Bob Hoyt.

-Joe

BigAl52 said:
patocazador said:
bronko22000 said:

Amen on the muzzies. I hadnt been stung until the search for muzzies started about 6 months ago. My want for TC because of the past and being familiar with them just drove away the common sense part. I took a couple people at there word of good condition meant the bore was rust and pit free. Found out the hard way and the only thing that took some of the sting out of it was the rebores by Bob Hoyt. Still ended up costing me more. Al
I hope it wasn't some guy on this site.

I doubt it. I have been watching the exchanges and have heard nothing. 
I know that if anyone here expressed reservations about something I sold them, 
they would tell me, I hope, and I would make it right. :scratch:

(Hear that everyone? ;)  If I hear nothing, I will assume you are happy!)

Kentucky Colonel said:

I have a Hatfield rifle from the Colonel that actually is better than he described!
Ron

RonC said:
Kentucky Colonel said:

I have a Hatfield rifle from the Colonel that actually is better than he described!
Ron

Ah, shucks... I still owe Jerry a manual...

Latest posts

Back