Wyoming area suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper53

Reaction score
My son and I have 9 deer preference points for Wyoming. We have never hunted out of Oregon before, but looking forward to it. My wife and I both have Long Term Covid Symptoms and we get exhausted quickly but hoping to get to Wyoming soon and look for some possible area's to hunt in the future. I know it is a big state and would appreciate any suggestions on areas to check out. It would be nice to be able to hunt an area where there are a few deer and some nice bucks.
Looking for an area with public or access to private available. I don't have a computer other than my phone and have not made much sense out of the online information. When I called and requested written regs and info on the land owner access program I was told it was all online and they do mot send written.
I had fair health for my age (70 this June) before covid and hope to get that back. Just retired and not getting any younger. Not interested in the real steep pack in areas. 20 years too late for that.
The friend I had that suggested we should apply for points in Wyoming has passed. He was going to show me areas to check out since he had hunted Wyoming numerous times. But that is not going to happen now.
I would like to get familiar with the area we plan to hunt. Maybe even an antelope hunt before the deer hunt.
I would appreciate any suggestions of areas to visit and get familiar with. Names and numbers of biologist, wardens and/or landowners that I could call would be greatly received. We have muzzle loaders if an area requires that or conventional rifles are also available.
Most of my hunting has been on the west, brushy side of the state for Blacktails and have never had the time to learn the different hunting methods. Most of my deer have been taken while walking slow on old logging roads. Mostly forked horns and a couple 3 points. Nothing of size. I have never done much glassing but have read that method works well on the large sage brush flats and am willing to try that.
Any suggestions or leads will be greatly appreciated
I would like to wish all of the forum members and families a very Safe, Prosperous and Happy New Year
Keep your powder dry

As a western hunting consultant I can tell you that you are in a good/bad position. You have a decent amount of points and will be able to draw a quality tag, but the better areas are the steeper parts of the state that you don't want to hunt. The good areas you would want to hunt, you are way off on the amount of points that would be required.

They are cutting deer tags in a lot of areas this year, not nearly as bad as antelope, but they also cut deer tags last year in some of the easier to hunt terrain.

If you really want to hunt in WY this fall, with the terrain you are looking for and the points you have, you need to consider going outfitted, or be good with picking a area with good public access, decent quality of bucks, but a lot of other hunters.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

As a western hunting consultant I can tell you that you are in a good/bad position. You have a decent amount of points and will be able to draw a quality tag, but the better areas are the steeper parts of the state that you don't want to hunt. The good areas you would want to hunt, you are way off on the amount of points that would be required.

They are cutting deer tags in a lot of areas this year, not nearly as bad as antelope, but they also cut deer tags last year in some of the easier to hunt terrain.

If you really want to hunt in WY this fall, with the terrain you are looking for and the points you have, you need to consider going outfitted, or be good with picking a area with good public access, decent quality of bucks, but a lot of other hunters.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Is there an area with abundant public land and it doesn’t take a ton of preference points? I’m not necessarily looking for a trophy deer but a challenging experience.

Is there an area with abundant public land and it doesn’t take a ton of preference points? I’m not necessarily looking for a trophy deer but a challenging experience.
Well that depends on your definition of a ton of points.

I hunted the Black Hills National Forest just north of Sundance for 20 different years. But I understand the state is having CWD issues and a lot of animals are dead. We always found that if you would just get 1/2 mile from the road you would not see people. Never saw many anyway. We particularly hunted south of Red Water creek, Hemler Reservoir, and in the area of Sheep mountain. Along the area next to private but hunt on public. That put you far enough from the road, in steep hills, and lots of deer feeding in the private pastures ended up bedding on public.

Cook lake has trout.

We never needed pref point years ago. Its all white tail. Some huge racks around. Back then anyway.

PM me if you want more.

Back