Anyone like the 45-70 ? Todays Range Results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgeviewer

Reaction score
I LOVE mine!!!!
Encore45-70.jpg

45-70 Encore Pistol

45-70PistolGroup.jpg

3" Orange sticker, 100yd, 325 gr Hornady Leverlution,sand bag rest...

Look out deer!

Ridge

Hi Choc-Dog,
I've got to tell you, I was apprehensive about the recoil prior to shooting this gun.
However upon shooting it, I was pleasantly surprised by the recoil, removed my hard hat, catcher's mask, and chest protector. :shock: :lol: Just kidding... It is totally manageable. I shot the gun 12 shots in a row, sighting in, and looking at a couple groups from a bench. There was very little muzzle jump, and recoil to my hand was less than my scoped, 44 mag. Smith. Shooting my Smith I generally shoot 3 rounds then lay the gun down for a few minutes. I did not find the need to take a break with the Encore.
In fact, I went straight from the bench shooting to a few free hand shots. I was surprised there as well. I had absolutely no problem at 50 and 75 yards free hand.

I'm really looking forward to shooting this gun at 200 yards. I'll post the results after I do.

Keep in mind though, the 45-70 barrel I am using is long, heavy, and ported. I am also using a Pachmayr Decelerator
Grip.

Ridge

I had read you "Ohio" boys could use handgun cartridges or rifles for handgun cartridges to hunt deer. Good for you and good luck.

Take some pictures.

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
I had read you "Ohio" boys could use handgun cartridges or rifles for handgun cartridges to hunt deer. Good for you and good luck.

Take some pictures.

Chocdog

No Rifles here... Only handguns with straight walled cartridges.

Thanks Quigleysharps4570,
Just an update for those interested...
I had a bit of time this afternoon, and tweaked the scope a bit on my 45-70 Encore. The picture is of a 3" sticker disc on a cardboard box, shot from bench, at 100 yards.
The 1-1/2" 4 shot group is the result of my getting cocky and screwing up a 1" 3 shot group!!! ARGGGG :shock: :lol:

I absolutely love this gun, and it loves Hornady Leverloution!
Ridge
45-70rangetrip2.jpg

Ridgeviewer is the gun ported? I have a 223 barrel for my contender but I'm looking for some larger cartridge barrels.

wapiti wacker said:
Ridgeviewer is the gun ported? I have a 223 barrel for my contender but I'm looking for some larger cartridge barrels.

Hey Wapiti Wacker, Yes it is ported. I don't believe you can go to 45-70 on the contender frame, but i have read of guys taking a 44 mag contender barrel and having it rechambered to .444 marlin. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that personally...
I'd suggest an encore frame for the bigger stuff. The added weight is welcome as well!
PM me if you want some more suggestions,
Ridge

I had a 45-70 barrel on my contender frame at one time,long ago..With out paying attention I got a little too hot on the loads and sprung the frame..Sad story...The factory told be to never use any load stronger than loads for the Trapdoor rifles..Maybe a word of caution here as well..I shot 3 deer with my before breaking it..The frame was junk then-no replacement..SO BE
Careful dude...

I am very interested in this... I have a .454 casull in a Raging Bull but hunting without ear protection is not an option. Considering a swap... .460 would be great but then again.. too loud!

Is this the 15" barrel and how loud is it? Does it have the muzzle tamer on it?

Doohan said:
I am very interested in this... I have a .454 casull in a Raging Bull but hunting without ear protection is not an option. Considering a swap... .460 would be great but then again.. too loud!

Is this the 15" barrel and how loud is it? Does it have the muzzle tamer on it?

Hi Doohan, actually my barrel is the old style 45-70 Katahdin 18" barrel. It does have the factory break. It's a boomer without doubt, but I have shot it once or twice without muffs...

Ridge

Latest posts

Back