ASG vs. HIS ignition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
I’ve wondered this for awhile but seems like a sensitive topic on both Hanks board and Dougs so I’ll try asking here.
what’s the difference between the HIS and the ASG ignition system? They sure look awful similar. I remember on Dougs when the whole thing blew up there were a lot of accusations about copying and all that. Never quite understood what the difference was. Is one system actually better?
Just curious.

I run ASG Gen2 plugs in my Apex 45 conversions.

The ASG Gen2 plug has a shorter flame path than the HIS plug. The HIS plug has a flame channel where the bushing is held in place with a lock ring at the powder end and is removable. The ASG plug has the bushing installed on the primer module end of the plug and is not removable and has no flame channel, just the flash hole through the bushing.

It has been brought up that the primer module life of the ASG Gen2 plug may be shorter because of the shorter flame path, especially when using stout smokeless loads. I run moderate smokeless loads in my Apex's and have not noticed any enlargement of my primer pockets in the brass modules. The LRMP's seat with the same firmness as when new.

If using the HIS plug with N110 at reduced loads, you have to be careful of the length of the powder column. If the powder column is not long enough, you run the risk of seating the bullet below the rifing and into the left over portion of the chamber that was machined for the original cartridge.

Who came up with what first is hard to say. I remember reading about someone who first made LRP modules out of steel. Did Hankins use that design and went with brass modules? I know the ASG primer module plugs came out after Hankins made the HIS.

I think either system will work good as long as you know the limitations of each. I reload for my 45-70 lever gun, so for me, the LRP brass module system fits nicely in the scheme of things and I didn't have to purchase any additional equipment.

I personally doubt one is all that much better than the other and are on a more equal playing ground than most will admit. Both work, both last! When I bought, I went with ASG mainly because it was smaller diameter, leaving more meat of the barrel. Maybe a moot point not worth mentioning to some but for whatever reason was my choice in deciding. I really doubt the ASG has enough of a shorter flame channel to make any kind of difference.
ive used both and neither has let me down and extremely reliable.

customer service has been great from both places and both will take the time to talk to you. I hated the whole drama on both boards but it’s mainly Dougs that’s the problem. You mention Hankins or defend him and you’ll get the boot. At least on Hankins, he generally stays out of the pissing match. Besides he was right, HIS system was better than a 209…

Last edited:
My wife and I just finished the movie about intermittent windshield wipers. (Flash of Genius)
The inventor (Robert Kearns) had a patent, which Ford and other companies ignored. In the end the jury decided for the inventor.

If neither Jeff Hankins nor Luke Horak had a patent on the original design for the primer modules and breech plug, it is legal to copy another good idea. I built some modules and a breech plug for a 110 Savage, which solved the problem of blown extractors by recessing the module part way into the breech plug. However, the nipple idea came from looking at the Hankins modules.

Smokeless Muzzle Loader: 275 grain bullet @ 3,000 fps - YouTube

I do know Luke obtained a patent on one of his newer breech plugs, because I have seen the patent which was awarded to him.

Last edited:
I will tell you this. Hank dont take kindly to mentioning any competing product on his forum. I mentioned a steel rail for CVA you cant even buy in the USA and he sent me a PM with a warning. He does not even offer a steel rail for CVAs. His is 7075 and the one i mentioned i can only find from Euro vendors.
https://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/thread/5202/company-steel-scout-bases
I am also building and selling the rail for the CVA Scouts and many other parts for the do it yourselfer. I have worked very hard to build this board and my parts business. You know very well what all I have been through to keep my business going. I would appreciate it if you would stop advertising other competitors parts on my message board. You can do that in many other places and you know where they are.

I do not mind people talking about their rifles and the parts they used, but posting a link to my competitors is not going to be excepted any longer.

I know you like this board and being a part of it so please abide by my wishes

He banned me once just for posting info about the CVA Paramount. I was in no way in any pissing match. So if anyone thinks its so much better than Dougs you might wanna think again.

I agree whole heartedly with GM54-120. hank is a huge hypocrite. He once said on his msg board that any one could mention anything without fear of censorship as long folks keep it polite. Well we all know that is a huge falsehood. Case in point is what GM54 just wrote. Not only has hank been banned from Dougs but from other facebook groups as well, for causing trouble and basically running his pie hole over everyone and everything. He's the best. I could go on and on and give countless examples but I'd get writer's cramp.

To the original op's question, Please note the link pasted below

https://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/thread/3729/ignition-savage-pac

I will tell you this. Hank dont take kindly to mentioning any competing product on his forum. I mentioned a steel rail for CVA you cant even buy in the USA and he sent me a PM with a warning. He does not even offer a steel rail for CVAs. His is 7075 and the one i mentioned i can only find from Euro vendors.
https://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/thread/5202/company-steel-scout-bases

He banned me once just for posting info about the CVA Paramount. I was in no way in any pissing match. So if anyone thinks its so much better than Dougs you might wanna think again.

I have not ran into that issue with him. I’ve mentioned many times about Luke, ASG and his products and have never been threatened with a ban. I also see nothing wrong in the way he asked you not to provide links to outside vendors. I've Seen how other boards act and they’re not directly selling anything. Like Dougs it’s a complete opposite on Doug’s I even a few choice BS messages from Rambler witch apparently has some mahogany for Hank, per some of the messages he sent me on Dougs and on a smokeless muzzleloader Facebook group. So if he’s accusing Hank of running his pie hole, he’s definitely an expert and knows what he’s talking about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back