Backup plan

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrimpy50

Reaction score
Guys, I am looking into a backup muzzleloader. Keeping it mainstream and from the big 3 (CVA, TC, Traditions) iam wondering what avenue to go. the break barrel option is the most obvious, but I am most concerned about the "wiggle" associated with them. I have been a TC guy since the Black Diamond days, but if there were an option that was superior, I might lean that way.

Curly Wolf said:
Guys, I am looking into a backup muzzleloader. Keeping it mainstream and from the big 3 (CVA, TC, Traditions) iam wondering what avenue to go. the break barrel option is the most obvious, but I am most concerned about the "wiggle" associated with them. I have been a TC guy since the Black Diamond days, but if there were an option that was superior, I might lean that way.

Shoot if you can get past the break-open thought I would really suggest a Knight Bighorn for a back up or even better a DISC Extreme and better of the betters - an Ultra-Lite

Wait - a Knight Vision from Sportsman's Guide

vision-max1-600x600-300x300.jpg

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... l?a=748488

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1877453

not many here are fans of traditions. And even TC and CVA are pretty much middle of the road. A lot of their poularity comes from the fact that they are the most widely available, and for the most part, on the budget end of the spectrum. TC has changed hands, and the favorable reports are mostly dwindling. Still, most TC or CVA are still a decent bang for the buck. Most of the guys here are more fans of Knight rifles, but they tend to be a bit more money. Asking on a forum what everyones favorite gun is, is like walking into the local bar and asking what beer everyone likes. Opinions will run the gamut. What style hunting are you looking to do most? Long walking trek style hunters want something lighter for an all day carry. stand and blind hunters usually dont trek as far and can go for something a little heavier. A lot will also depend on the typical range you see and shoot game. predominantly shorter range hunting, (100 yards and under) can get away with most anything. Where open field hunting where shots of several hundred yards are possible, demand a different set of tools.

Curly Wolf said:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/knight-disc-elite-50-cal-black-powder-rifle?a=1845063

Here is a gem for a good price. What is the experience with one of these beasts?

Gee Whiz that is a good price for a DISC ELITE - even if it is blued. It would probably come with a red plastic jacket ignition system but that can be easily replaced with a Bare Primer System. And with a thumbhole stock...

As I shopped the Knight website, why in the blue devil is the .52 significantly less money than a .50? Is there a real advantage to a .52?
Could this DISC Elite become my go to, if I purchased it?

The 52 is a great rifle but limited to .458 or .475 bullets and the sabots have to purchased from Knight or an Knight online vendor. The 52 never reached the popularity that they thought they would...

Curly Wolf said:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/knight-disc-elite-50-cal-black-powder-rifle?a=1845063

Here is a gem for a good price. What is the experience with one of these beasts?

As I shopped the Knight website, why in the blue devil is the .52 significantly less money than a .50? Is there a real advantage to a .52?
Could this DISC Elite become my go to, if I purchased it?

Disc Elite is one of the BEST rifles Knight has ever made, imo. That is a super price for sure!

I'm sure it comes with the red plastic jacket ignition which is fine, but you'd probably want to upgrade it to the NFPJ (bare primer) ignition. My opinion, YES... that would likely become your primary in a hurry :yeah: :D

If you search here, you'll find alot of folks have and love the DE rifles.

Back