Bad Bull MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnumpower

Reaction score
I test fired my XR-100 Bad Bull today and it is everything they say it is. Match grade trigger combined with match grade Shilen barrel /pillar bedded stock laminated stock gave me accuracy that was beyond belief. I fired 3 3 shot groups at 100 yards.(.5'',.45'' and .38'') They now use a sized and specially prepped 275 Parker BE. Velocities ran right at 3100fps with their recommended powder and charge. The gun weighs 11pounds 3ounces when topped with Warne mounts and a Leupold 4.5x-14x 30mm side paralax adj. The muzzle brake was extremely effective in reducing felt recoil to 300 Win. Mag. levels. The gun is pricey, but given the increased performance/accuracy levels over any other smokeless MZ I own or have shot, it is worth the cost. I hope to have a long range shooting report in the next couple of weeks.

Great news.

I would really like to see some pics of that combo. :lol:

Magnumpower, do you really need the muzzlebrake? In my conservative calculations recoil energy is only around 80 pounds! On a serious note what critter are you going to try it out on? Hopefully not one of our scrawny little WV whitetails. Set you up a "shooter shack" and take one of those big Ohio bucks at extreme range some calm day.
Bill

Bill, the muzzlebrake is really nice on those days when you fire 40 to 50 rounds through this rifle. As to what I am hunting with this rifle, it is whitetails as usual. I plan to hunt Ohio during the late muzzleloader season as well as Pike County, IL. If my custom 25 WSM is not in by November, the WV whitetails will hunted with this rifle also. It shoots like a laser out to 400 yds with 1900 ft/lbs still left at that distance.

Have you shot it for actual groups at 300 yds or beyond yet? Is so how did it do? This is a fascinating rifle, thanks for sharing the info.
Rman

I was able to go out early this morning in almost ideal conditions and test at 300 and 400 yards. I fired one three shot group at each distance. The 300 yard group measured a little over 2.5'' and the 400 yard group a little under 3.0''.(center to center) The conditions soon deteriorated as the temperature climbed and the winds picked up considerably, thus ending the shooting session. The gun performs in an almost unbelievable fashion but a friend shoots one and routinely breaks 8'' balloons at 600 yards. We hope to have a 600 yard range in the next couple of weeks and I will try to have a range report at that distance.

magnumpower said:
140 grains of IMR 4350

Is that what you're shoot :shock: or is a misprint. Seems like a lot of powder and would have a lot of recoil. If that's the case I'd sure want a muzzle break. Wow.

RAF said:
magnumpower said:
140 grains of IMR 4350

Is that what you're shoot :shock: or is a misprint. Seems like a lot of powder and would have a lot of recoil. If that's the case I'd sure want a muzzle break. Wow.

I was thinking the same thing. I dont think you would want to attempt shooting something of that magnitude without one. I read somewhere of bloopers of people shooting the 50BMG without a MB, waking up with a broken collar bone doesnt sound fun to me. Oh and those are some awesome groups.

These are really impressive results. Please keep updating as info is available.

Sounds very interesting guys..
Any way to get some photos of the gun? I would be really interested in seeing what the whole package entails. How does the breech system work?

Thanks

J.J.

Do you buy the bullets sized from Bad Bull, or do they sell you a special sizing die for you to do it yourself?

Thanks.

edge.

Edge, I purchase the prepped Parker 275 BE from Bad Bull. Doohan, I will try to get some pictures up in the next few days. This rifle is unbelievable---I have a Savage, SMI, and NULA to compare and none are even close to this gun.

To magnumpower: You are making me envious of that firearm.

Back