Bad shooters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any stories? I have a friend whose shooting is absolutely horrible. Of course I accused him of being genius. When he starts shooting the deer learn quickly that their safe. Of course their wrong because they start laughing so hard they forget to run.I think.......... he can shoot one from three feet. 🦌 😄

Anyone have any stories? I have a friend whose shooting is absolutely horrible. Of course I accused him of being genius. When he starts shooting the deer learn quickly that their safe. Of course their wrong because they start laughing so hard they forget to run.I think.......... he can shoot one from three feet. 🦌 😄
You wouldnt believe half the stuff Ive seen happen at a public range without being there yourself

And none of it safety related

I will say the 10 year old police academy range I have used (being in IT for a college does have some perks) has more infrastructure/ND related damage than the much older no-rso public range that is near me

I remember being at the range and the guy near me had a M1 rifle. He was afraid to lock or unlock the bolt back due to where the bolt release was. I wound up having to make his gun safe for him when the range master was stopping shooting so we could go put up or take down targets etc. you just gotta be quick when you let the bolt go.

Ask to teach them. Almost all can be taught to hit between the eyes at 100 yards.
Once they learn that, ask them if they wish to learn how to pick left or right pupil. Let them
learn with your kit if theirs is lacking. If your kit is being used, charge them for the cost of consumables including range
fees and the cleaning gear.
It really is your duty. Colossians 3:23-24

BTW, please keep the stories coming!!!

I have a close friend that misses at least one deer a season..as well as makes bad shots when he does make contact. I’ve tried to get him to the range both archery and rifle..but yea..is what it is I suppose.

BTW, please keep the stories coming!!!

For a while I was in the habit of taking off from work mid-week and using my free day to hit the public range in the near by national forest. Cut the crowds down, especially just before and during hunting season...

So one day I'm setting up my target at 100 yards working on building a dope sheet for some new ammo in my Savage Mk II BTV (SK Standard, or Std+ as it was labeled at the time fwiw) and a white Coast Guard van pulls up, 4 coasties unass it, and proceed to set up their nice big 24"x24" target at 100 yards, and they lay out two Barrett .50s and a couple of cans of ammo.

I shoot a few groups at 100 yards, they shoot 5 or 6 shots between the two guns, and we head down range to check things out. I'd already seen my results in my scope (32x FTW!) but needed to move my target to 150 yards. My groups were just at or barely over honest 1moa groups. All I can say about their groups is that all of the holes were on the 24x24 paper.

I probably shouldn't have asked if not having the deck moving under them was messing up their shooting skills....

I believe it was Mark Twain who said " Show me a man who can't hit a barn if he was standing inside it, and hand him an unloaded gun, he'll bag his Grandmother at 200 yards with the first shot".
I love the poor souls who are terrified of their rifles (recoil, muzzle blast/ flash etc) who believed some doofus who told them " Don't worry. When you shoot at deer, you don't feel the recoil."
Don't get me going on mag dumpers who plow more dirt on the way to the target than actually hit the target.

I have been a range officer during "sight-in" season at our club for 25 years. I'm the guy who has to deal with the people who can't get on paper. We have a sight-in box at 25 yards filled with chipped rubber. The box is 8 feet tall by 5 feet wide. the white backer is 4X4 feet. The shooters shoot from a solid benchrest at 25 yards using sandbag rests front and back. Note the bullet holes in the wood from the very top of the box to the very bottom and from extreme right to extreme left. Some people can't even hit the whole box. And they are in the woods hunting deer........................WITH YOU!!!! X

Attachments

• DSC_0152.JPG
    DSC_0152.JPG
    958.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0154.JPG
    DSC_0154.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0155.JPG
    DSC_0155.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I have been a range officer during "sight-in" season at our club for 25 years. I'm the guy who has to deal with the people who can't get on paper. We have a sight-in box at 25 yards filled with chipped rubber. The box is 8 feet tall by 5 feet wide. the white backer is 4X4 feet. The shooters shoot from a solid benchrest at 25 yards using sandbag rests front and back. Note the bullet holes in the wood from the very top of the box to the very bottom and from extreme right to extreme left. Some people can't even hit the whole box. And they are in the woods hunting deer........................WITH YOU!!!! X
Plenty scary.

I really enjoy it when I'm at the range with my iron-sighted TC Hawken or m38 Swedish Mauser and outshoot the ARs at 100 yards -- with many of them using 3X to 5X scopes or magnifiers on their red dots. There was a guy at the range the other day shooting an AR pistol (looked more like an "SBR" actually...) that was getting 4" groups offhand at 25 yards -- using both hands and the wrist brace at his shoulder. I quite enjoyed showing him the 1" groups (several balls touching) that my Hawken produced from the same distance.

Scariest one is...

Western MA (decades ago), I heard 3 shots and shortly came upon another hunter. When I asked what he was shooting at, he said "I saw something moving over in those firs..." My twin brother was hunting over on that side of the ridge! I calmly asked to see his shotgun, and as he handed it to me I quickly emptied it, read him the riot act and told him to get his a** off the mountain until he could hit an 8" pie plate every time from 50 or 75 yards.

Old No7

Served with some guys like that. The safest place to be was back in the barracks, while they were at the range.

I know a guy who wears a vest with trauma plates when he hunts public land

Cant really say I blame him
On one hand I’d say he is a bit paranoid & excessive. On the other, I have hunted in some public lands where hunters were like 2 per acre & bullets literally were flying everywhere & no one was safe - anywhere & those plates would have been a dang good idea to have on.

You wouldnt believe half the stuff Ive seen happen at a public range without being there yourself

And none of it safety related

I will say the 10 year old police academy range I have used (being in IT for a college does have some perks) has more infrastructure/ND related damage than the much older no-rso public range that is near me

Shooting at a public range is like watching folks at the boat launch! 😂

My Uncle used to laugh at us kids when we started out deer hunting. He said he could tell what happened by the way our jackets were opened, we were sweating and at loss for our missed shots. Buck Fever!. He also said a deer knows the safest thing to do is stand still. If they ran, they would run into a well placed errant shot. 😅

Last edited:
Back