Bad weather trapping

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23626

Reaction score
I got these fairly in the season, then snow, wind, frozen traps, red lining the 4runner trying to get to most of them. Lions ran me out of the high rocks, no bobcat sign. Might be my first season "skunked" on cats but my overall total is over 80 since my semi-retirement. I'm blessed! Got two dogs coming off of the stretchers today. Fur Harvester's auction house belly up so selling to a traveling dealer, Petska. We've had our moments but all is well in Whoville. These 4 went down the road @ $80.00 avg. XL and XXL heavies w/ pale bellies. over 48" nose to base of tail. The ones I'm finishing are drive bys with the Swift I call "Long Dropper", praise it some and cuss it some. Operator error involved a little LOL. Lions ran me out of my bobcat trapping favorites, ran them out into the sage..Might get skunked on cats for the first time but have been blessed with over 80 bobcats since my semi-retirement 12 yrs ago. I'm now a hobby trapper,no more 4 wheelers getting stuck and long runs on the sled. Lucky enough to be "Toplot trapper" in Heavy Western Lynxcat at the Canadian sale of FHA in '08, my best brought $1,800.00 for one cat. Traps are snowed in with hard pack snow but at least they're Coni's in cubbies so any caught are long ago expired. I'll get to them as soon as I can. Mostly problem Badger sets in the circle Irragation. I hope you all are doing better. Out here

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    688.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    666.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 4
Is Petska Fur still looking for whole porcupines, seems like he has some good taxidermy shops customers. Years ago a neighbor was selling him mountain lions, Greg has always had a good market.

buck conner.jpg

I got these fairly in the season, then snow, wind, frozen traps, red lining the 4runner trying to get to most of them. Lions ran me out of the high rocks, no bobcat sign. Might be my first season "skunked" on cats but my overall total is over 80 since my semi-retirement. I'm blessed! Got two dogs coming off of the stretchers today. Fur Harvester's auction house belly up so selling to a traveling dealer, Petska. We've had our moments but all is well in Whoville. These 4 went down the road @ $80.00 avg. XL and XXL heavies w/ pale bellies. over 48" nose to base of tail. The ones I'm finishing are drive bys with the Swift I call "Long Dropper", praise it some and cuss it some. Operator error involved a little LOL. Lions ran me out of my bobcat trapping favorites, ran them out into the sage..Might get skunked on cats for the first time but have been blessed with over 80 bobcats since my semi-retirement 12 yrs ago. I'm now a hobby trapper,no more 4 wheelers getting stuck and long runs on the sled. Lucky enough to be "Toplot trapper" in Heavy Western Lynxcat at the Canadian sale of FHA in '08, my best brought $1,800.00 for one cat. Traps are snowed in with hard pack snow but at least they're Coni's in cubbies so any caught are long ago expired. I'll get to them as soon as I can. Mostly problem Badger sets in the circle Irragation. I hope you all are doing better. Out here
Absolutely fascinating trapper report. 👍
What characteristics did you have in that one cat to bring $1,800?
Will you be able to salvage any pelts on those snowed-in conibears?
What are "driver bys with the Swift"?

I got these fairly in the season, then snow, wind, frozen traps, red lining the 4runner trying to get to most of them. Lions ran me out of the high rocks, no bobcat sign. Might be my first season "skunked" on cats but my overall total is over 80 since my semi-retirement. I'm blessed! Got two dogs coming off of the stretchers today. NAFA auction house belly up so selling to a traveling dealer, Petska. We've had our moments but all is well in Whoville. These 4 went down the road @ $80.00 avg. XL and XXL heavies w/ pale bellies. over 48" nose to base of tail. The ones I'm finishing are drive bys with the Swift I call "Long Dropper", praise it some and cuss it some. Operator error involved a little LOL. Lions ran me out of my bobcat trapping favorites, ran them out into the sage..Might get skunked on cats for the first time but have been blessed with over 80 bobcats since my semi-retirement 12 yrs ago. I'm now a hobby trapper, no more 4 wheelers getting stuck and long runs on the sled. Lucky enough to be "Toplot trapper" in Heavy Western Lynxcat at the Canadian sale of NAFA in '08, my best brought $1,800.00 for one cat. Traps are snowed in with hard pack snow but at least they're Coni's in cubbies so any caught are long ago expired. I'll get to them as soon as I can. Mostly problem Badger sets in the circle Irragation. I hope you all are doing better. Out here
CORRECTION.I sold to both auction houses but the one mentioned is incorrect..It's NAFA and not Fur harvesters inc that's out of business, and where I was Toplot in 2008.

There were actually 5 cats in the toplot and I was lucky enough to be one of them. That sale, it seems, started the high dollar trend for the toplot of Lynxcat. Super clear white belly with many spots running clear up into the "Blue back" plus XXXL size and a outstanding job of preparation LOL!! Yes on the salvage of the badgers, if any were in them before the storm. A "Drive by" is when I happen to notice a wild canine while going to and from my trap checks and try to detain them with my 220 AI Swift and 12X Leupold. All other inquires on this subject I plead the 5TH. Out Here

Is Petska Fur still looking for whole porcupines, seems like he has some good taxidermy shops customers. Years ago a neighbor was selling him mountain lions, Greg has always had a good market.

View attachment 817
I don't know about the porkies, I'll ask him tomorrow. I threw two away where dogs or cattle couldn't get to them, then got chewed out by a Native American neighbor for not giving them to her. After selling to Greg the "after kiss" is a nice pair of deerskin gloves and it seems to make everything OK LOL !!

Sent two more prairie pups down the hiway with Greg Petska yesterday. Ranch hands waiting in line with their mishandled yotes. At least he doesn't cringe at my fur offerings (put up correctly). Another $80.00 avg so I'm happy. I'm sure I might get more at the auctions (last year $111.00 avg) but with the wind and other negative conditions I don't anticipate much of a year. Shot this hapless male on the way home from our meet, small entrance and no exit = no sewing, Yeah !! Some badgers, coons and skunks on their way back from Moyle's tannery, will post pics. Out here

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    612 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    632.8 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    656 KB · Views: 7
Found a few pics of the high dollar feline. Sold 15 that year and he raised my avg to $514.00. Didn't waste it, I bought the 2000 Dodge 1500 4WD I'm still driving. I have hundreds of wildlife and trapping pictures on file and have them "ghosted" so as not to lose them. (Iran might cyber attack me) LOL

Attachments

• P3140003.JPG
    P3140003.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 4
  • PB180015.JPG
    PB180015.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 4
  • PB180024.JPG
    PB180024.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 4
I have hundreds of wildlife and trapping pictures on file and have them "ghosted" so as not to lose them. (Iran might cyber attack me) LOL

Wasn't that a joke, they were trying to make their neghboring countries think they are bad asses. Low dollar filming of two missles being fired and then shown over and over again to look like 100's were set off. Heard on the news this morning we were told ahead of time where they would hit (they went in the sand with no-one around).
News media made a big deal out of nothing again... :cheers:

buck conner.jpg

Found a few pics of the high dollar feline. Sold 15 that year and he raised my avg to $514.00. Didn't waste it, I bought the 2000 Dodge 1500 4WD I'm still driving. I have hundreds of wildlife and trapping pictures on file and have them "ghosted" so as not to lose them. (Iran might cyber attack me) LOL
Am I right in that Lynx will always bring a higher dollar than Bobcat?

Am I right in that Lynx will always bring a higher dollar than Bobcat?
No, I,ve found the opposite to be true.. bigger but no well defined spots and can't be brought into the US so Canadian auctions an only option.

Back