Ballistic scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbide8

Reaction score
For those of you that use ballistic scopes, what model, brand, make would you recommend? Thx

I guess i should've clarified...

I'm talking about scopes like Leupold CDSs. Not ballistic reticle scopes.

Carbide8 said:
I guess i should've clarified...

I'm talking about scopes like Leupold CDSs. Not ballistic reticle scopes.

I use the CDS turret and find it very accurate. It would be more accurate if I weren't shooting pellets.

Encore:
Did the cds require velocity data? I dont own a chronograph and was wondering about this. Thx

I'm with Encore on Leupold.
Take a look at the AR series as I've used many and have had custom turrets made for elevation to my specific load - $60. You give Leupold techs your data.
The last ones I had made, gave me marks at every 50 yards and a 'dot' at every 10 yards. It took a while to get it right, but they did.

Carbide8 said:
Encore:
Did the cds require velocity data? I dont own a chronograph and was wondering about this. Thx

Yes. This I can tell you, those boys at Leupold are pretty darn good at helping. Its always best if you know your muzzle velocity and bullet BC. However those boys have a lot of knowledge and may know themselves. I'd suggest calling and talking to them.
I can tell you that the CDS turret will work the absolute best if you're using loose propellant, regardless of the type. I'm shooting pellets from my Ultimate and major deviations in MV will effect the POI at long range.

I got a leupold scope coming with the cds system for my 30-06. I did a ton of research before the purchase and did not read any negative about the cds. Looking forward to working with it this summer.

03mossy said:
I got a leupold scope coming with the cds system for my 30-06. I did a ton of research before the purchase and did not read any negative about the cds. Looking forward to working with it this summer.

I bet you'll be happy.

Everyone must remember this though............ the CDS turret is designed for ONE SPECIFIC LOAD AND BULLET. If you change bullets or the charge, you'll need a matching turret.

Thanks for the info. Ive heard nothing but good things about the cds system as well. Sounds like you can buy additional dials for 60-70 which seems reasonable to me if u plan on running multiple loads in a gun. I'll have to check out the AR line as im not familiar with it.

Carbide8 said:
Thanks for the info. Ive heard nothing but good things about the cds system as well. Sounds like you can buy additional dials for 60-70 which seems reasonable to me if u plan on running multiple loads in a gun. I'll have to check out the AR line as im not familiar with it.

I have two VX6 scopes, both with the CDS turret. One is on the Ultimate muzzleloader, the other is on my custom bolt .450 bushmaster (Game Breaker by UF). These are the first that I've had and actually I'm quite impressed. It/they make a laser range finder a MUST though.
Where everyone else shoots and determines POI at the given distances, I just dial and shoot, as its already been done for me. Now am I learning what some of the guys want me to learn? Well............. ;)

Latest posts

Back