Barnes 300g Expander

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
treepotatoe provided these Barnes 300g MZ bullets hoping for a capture.

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the 'trap' is 25 yard. The powder charge is 50 grain Blackhorn. The 'trap' is carpet sample glued to 3/8" plywood, 6 water jugs, and a phonebook.

The first attempt to catch the bullet was a failure. The bullet veered up, and sideways in the jugs, and exited never to be found.

The second bullet was captured by the fourth jug. The top of the first jug was severed at the neck. The second jug was destroyed. The third jug was holed through. The fourth jug was holed though, but still held the bullet. The fourth, and fifth jugs were undamaged.

IMG_4031.JPG

It has the Key ingredient at this speed (=distance): Big HP

Thanks, Ron, you got out there much quicker than I expected. Hopefully that sunshine brought some warmer temps.

Looks like pretty decent performance, destroying the first jugs then continuing to plow through. Being a fan of exit holes for tracking I like what I see. Wonder if the turning of the bullet track us due to early opening on the first barrier at a slight angle, causing uneven peeling of the HP petals. Looks effective regardless.

Really appreciate the time, effort, and consistency you put into these tests. Thanks for helping so many of us out.

Hows the weight, did it lose any.Cant tell if any of the petals broke off, thanks for you time and effort, Jim

Gary,

This appears to be a very fine bullet. It seems this bullet can be used in a full power hunting load, or in a reduced low recoil load. Penetrates better than the lighter MZ bullet. Me, i could use it with full confidence.

Gary,

This appears to be a very fine bullet. It seems this bullet can be used in a full power hunting load, or in a reduced low recoil load. Penetrates better than the lighter MZ bullet. Me, i could use it with full confidence.

Thanks, Ron. You've made picking this fall's bullet choice a lot easier. Hopefully the son and I will get to see firsthand how they perform on deer. - Gary

Back