ELR 50 Caliber 330g Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G_0359.jpg

Bullet is provided by Larry Potterfield at half price. Distance from muzzle to carpet is 25 yard. Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn powder.

G_0362.jpg

G_0363.jpg

VIDEO

G_0367.jpg

The bullet destroyed the first two bottles, ruined the third, holed through the fourth, and the fifth, bounced off the sixth bottle, and was found on top of the snow crust about 2 feet right of the right rear foot of the horse. Two small pieces of jacket, and lead were found on top of the snow to the right of the horse about five feet middling.

G_0368.jpg

G_0369.jpg

G_0370.jpg

G_0371.jpg

G_0372.jpg

More than 50% weight loss with 80grs, like you said Fullbore, would anything be left at the max charge! It did seem to mushroom well, just too much weight loss for me but would probably kill a deer just fine at the ranges I hunt, typically less than 100yds.

Thanks again Ron!!!

Out of my CVA Wolf, 60 gr (mass) of BH209 propelled these 330 gr slugs at around 1400 fps according to my chrono. 60 gr mass was about even with the 80 gr vol mark on my measuring tubes so it should be close I think. These must be really thin walled jackets to suffer that much damage and weight loss at those types of velocities.

G_0373.jpg

Perhaps a look at the unfired bullet without the skirt will be instructive? Note how the base of the fired bullet, and the unfired bullet are much the same. The bullet maintained it's base, and penetrated quite well. The bullet gave up weight to the destruction of the bottles, but maintained the base for deep penetration.

Grain is not a unit of mass. Grain is 1/7000 pound, a unit of weight. On the international space station the travelers are weightless. They do however have mass. A unit of mass is the Kilogram. The space station travelers are said to be weightless, and are weightless, but they do have mass.

Grain is not mass, it is weight.

60 gr weight was about even with the 80 gr vol mark

Sixty grain weight is certainly near to 80g on the volume mark.

I would point out that 80 gr (by weight) of BH 209 is close to a magnum charge (84 g mass = 120 gr vol) and would be considered equivalent to a 150 gr vol charge of 777 or 3x50 gr equiv pellets.
Eighty gr. by weight of Blackhorn 209 is my preferred charge; in all my comparisons this charge is equivalent to about 104-110gr by volume. Don’t know what the volume equivalent of 84g by weight might be, but I’ll take your word for it. Thanks.

Out of my CVA Wolf, 60 gr (mass) of BH209 propelled these 330 gr slugs at around 1400 fps according to my chrono. 60 gr mass was about even with the 80 gr vol mark on my measuring tubes so it should be close I think. These must be really thin walled jackets to suffer that much damage and weight loss at those types of velocities.
I believe that these bullets are plated not jacketed like a Hornady or Nosler bullet
they would literally explode depending on the alloy composition
they are accurate though and I will give them that jury is out on weather I use them to hunt with

Eighty gr. by weight of Blackhorn 209 is my preferred charge; in all my comparisons this charge is equivalent to about 104-110gr by volume. Don’t know what the volume equivalent of 84g by weight might be, but I’ll take your word for it. Thanks.
I was quoting the ballistic info that comes with these ELR Bullets. They list 84 gr BH 209 by weight as the equivalent to 120 grain by volume.

Grain is not a unit of mass. Grain is 1/7000 pound, a unit of weight. On the international space station the travelers are weightless. They do however have mass. A unit of mass is the Kilogram. The space station travelers are said to be weightless, and are weightless, but they do have mass.

Grain is not mass, it is weight.

Sixty grain weight is certainly near to 80g on the volume mark.
Yes sir I am aware of the difference between mass and weight but I respectfully suggest you are splitting hairs. Since the gravitational constant (9.81 m/s/s) is the same on average all over the planet (slightly higher at low elevations and slightly lower at high elevations), mass and weight are directly comparable as long as you are not on the ISS. One kg of mass is equivalent to 2.205 lbs of weight. While you are technically correct that grains are a unit of weight and not mass, perhaps I should have said 5.18 grams of powder instead of 80 grains but I was attempting to use the units that were being discussed and in practical terms, it makes no difference.

I believe that these bullets are plated not jacketed like a Hornady or Nosler bullet
they would literally explode depending on the alloy composition
they are accurate though and I will give them that jury is out on weather I use them to hunt with
This. Plated not jacketed, not bonded and not suitable for shooting at living creatures.

I would be interested to see a similar test of other selections of powerbelt bullets. I have killed multiple deer with both the copper plated hollow points and what looks like the same bullet with a plastic nose cone to enhance ballistic performance, both in 295 gr weights. It would be interesting to me to see if they also shredded off 50% of their weight. It might even be enough to convince me to change the bullets I hunt with.

there are way better bullets to use for hunting
I did a cross section of the ELR and the plating wasn't even close to 0.015
and like you said a deep hollow point with a plastic nose cone installed
stick with tried and true such as the Nosler partition or Swift A-frame or the Hornady ELD, which is coming out with a bullet very similar to the power belt elr but with a jacket
you can get these bullets and know your using a proven game getter

Latest posts

Back