Barrel crown polishing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My brother has a t/c encore 209x50 cal muzzleloader.It had a 28'' barrel and he thought it was toolong and too heavy.He got a local gunsmith to cut and recrown the barrel to 26''.The barrel looks good but on the crown there are marks that look like what I call chatter marks from the tooling.He is looking for a way to polish out the marks with out effecting the finish.It is s.s. and a fluted barrel

Sad from a gunsmith.
Hard to tell what type crown (square, recess, 11degree, etc.) w/o a photo.
To touch up - Proper Crowning tool w/pilot - turn it by hand and use oil.

I also have some 2'' diameter buffing cloth wheels and was told tha toothpaste has a grit in it.I have a cordless drill and screw gun from 500-3000 rpms.And I thought about some fine rubbing compund as well.Whjat does a brass screw do to the finish?

Have heard of people using a round head brass screw chucked up in a drill and use JB Bore paste to polish.

No clue if it'll work or not.
There are some pics and such (or used to be) of this on the rimfirecentral.com forums.

Also some interesting pics of what your muzzle should look like post-firing with a good crown (powder should leave snowflake pattern on muzzle)

It is recessed and said it was a 45 degree for muzzleloader.He showded me the pilot tool he used for it.I was thinking about triple ooo or 4oooo steel wool with some gun oil and use my hand.
Ive used 0000 steel wool and oil wrapped on a bronze brush, chucked in a drill, to polish out tooling marks in ss stuff. It works pretty well.

Easy peasy: Get yourself a 1"-1 1/4" wooden dowel and a 1/2" and 3/8" dowel. Cut about 3-4" off the thick dowel and then drill a hole in each end of it for the thinner dowels the about 2" off each of the thinner dowels and tap them in.
Cut 3"x3" pieces of 600 or finer emery paper and put a hole in the center to place over the 1/2" dowel. Put the 3/8" dowel in your drill and put the 1/2" dowel in the bore and start polishing it. It will be slick in no time. Also if you want the crown deeper you can use a cap nut with a metal abrasive compound and use it.
Here is the link for my finished job on my Encore: https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/424712-cut-crowned.html

Latest posts

Back