Barrel Length?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Whats your favorite barrel length for a Hawken style rifle?
01810.jpg

I personally like the 28" barrel in 15/16" as its easy to handle, light and accuracy has always been outstanding with a twist of 1:48 to 1:66.

I have had guns with 30 and 32" barrels and the extra length just added weight that was not needed. Accuracy was no more accurate than the shorter 28" barrel as well.

So what do you like?

I like a 32" for looks, but as you said it's a bit heavy. A .54 is a bit better for weight. Don't like a .58.

I like my Investarm rifles.  The barrels are 29" if you count the breech plugs.  Both barrels are 15/16th", the .54 weighs 8 lbs 8 oz. and the .58 cal weighs in at 7 lbs. 15oz., does not seem too barrel heavy. 

In contrast, my Penn Fowler with the 46" .62 cal Oct to round barrel weighs in at 7 lbs.  It is nicer to aim than both of the Hawkins.  :D

I have 2 favorite Hawken-type rifles. Both have short barrels. My T/C Hawken has a 28" barrel and is heavy as hell.
My favorites are a Sile Hawken hunter with a 23" 1:28 twist barrel which I shoot conicals in. The other is a Mike Lange gun with a 24" barrel and a 1:48 twist for PRB.

p1010010.jpg

i like the 36 inch barrel. not to heavy for me and it makes the gun really steady. if it is a 13/16ths barrel then a 42 inch barrel in 45 cal. really points nice.

That's like my Deerstalker with the 24" barrel. Nice to shoulder. I'm considering trading it in for a GPH, but I don't know if my back is going to like the longer barrel anymore.

I like my English Sporting rifle...35" long by 1 1/8 x 1" 62 cal...Holds well and is comfortable to shoot even with heavy loads....

Hilljack

I prefer the aesthetic of a 32" barrel but in shooting comfort I prefer the 28" barrel on my TC. The one I have the most fun with is not a half stock. It is my Enfield musketoon. It only has gallon jug accuracy over 50 yds but boy is it fun hitting 2 liter popbottles.

The pretty one
DSCF3296.jpg

The comfortable one.
DSCF1549.jpg

The fun one.
2903867210104169197_Aw_Eyz_K_fs.jpg

For me it's more a question of weight distribution or "balance."  I like just the right amount of weight out front for a job, but it varies with the kind of shooting.  In more open country with lots of time for shots, I like extra muzzle weight as much as a guy who shoots only matches.  It just helps steady you for precise shots further out. But move me back into the brush where shots are close and quick, I want the balance point right between my hands with virtually no feeling of muzzle-heavy pointing. It's like comparing a duck gun with a long barrel for smooth swings with an upland bird gun for real quick shots. 

Standard factory guns have straight barrels, so the only way you can "adjust" the balance is with barrel length. Longer for long shooting, shorter for quick shooting.  Original Hawkens (and many more) had tapered barrels to relieve a bit of the muzzle weight when barrels got long. There were also "swamped" barrels (skinnier in the middle) for doing the same thing.  You can get them tapered or swamped on custom guns, but I don't know of a single factory gun that has either.

My hefty 58 caliber GRRW Hawken with its 36" barrel tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle holds and points beautifully, more like the Lyman GPR with its 32" 15/16" barrel.  If it didn't weigh over 12#, it would be my standard open country gun.  But the GPR gets all the field work. When I'm going to spend the day in the brush, barrel length along the lines of the Deerstalker gets the nod. But truth be known even the Deerstalker is a little too muzzle heavy for the kind of quick shooting I'm talking about.

Years ago I picked up a TC Hawken that had been custom barreled (with a lot of stock mods!) in 58 caliber, 22" long and tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 15/16" at the muzzle.  I paid less for it than a standard TC Hawken, I can bet because the builder created something he didn't like at all. It absolutely stinks as a range gun or long range shooter. But it has zero muzzleweight and handles as easy as a short barreled 20 gauge for quick shooting.  It's my A Number One brush gun because it handles soooo fast when the critter is moving or going to jump any second. 

I take it back.  It is a terrific range gun for one game my buds and I play. We put a clay pigeon out at 25 yards and two guys line up on it with their rifles waist high. First one to hit the pigeon wins.  That rifle has never lost that game. It's not that I'm a hotshot, rather it's all on the rifle. Buds use it too, with the same results. It's never lost the match in anyone's hands. But move the pigeon out to 75 or 100 yards? I don't recall it ever winning a thing.

Not a Hawken but my .62 German Jager is the shortest barrel rifle I have with a  swamped 31" it was swamped more than a standard barrel by maker Jud Brennan. Beautifully balanced, it's my favorite hunting rifle.

ML_Wool.JPG

ML_orange.jpg

OldMtnMan said:
I like a 32" for looks, but as you said it's a bit heavy. A .54 is a bit better for weight. Don't like a .58.
I'm like you or length, 15/16 in .50 works fine.

Latest posts

Back